RCA DTC210 vs Samsung TS360 - Which do I keep?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I received from Directv the DTC-210 yesterday and swapped out my TS-360. The RCA seems to be more stable and I get 5 more OTA channels with on the RCA than I did on the Samsung...like it so far.

Simultaneous SD cropping?

I've been trying to get an answer to a question about the 210 for a few weeks now, and no one seems to be able on AVS!! :(

So here goes. The manual for the 210 (as well as the Samsung 360) have a statement (below) warning about cropped SD output when it is used simultaneously with HD output. I have an (SD) VCR as well as a house distribution system that I would like to use at the same time I'm watching HD output. Has anyone confirmed this problem, or is it a non-issue? Also, what does the guide look like when viewed on on SD output?

"Note: If you connect your TV to the VIDEO OUT, S-VIDEO OUT, or TV OUT jack, and you view a high-definition program with the HD Receiver’s RESOLUTION SELECT switch set to either 720p or 1080i, the picture will be slightly cropped at the top and bottom (the very top and bottom edges of the image will not appear on the TV screen). To avoid this problem, set the RESOLUTION SELECT switch to the 480p/i position if your TV is connected to one of the composite video outputs."

The Guide in RF or composite video on a 4:3 TV while the receiver is in 16:9 aspect is practically unreadable. HD content in cropped mode down converted to 4:3 over scans by approx 15%. Cropped mode is not a "fit to screen" feature or it would be labeled as such, thus the warning in the user guide. Where cropped mode works well, 2.35:1 (called Anamorphic Scope, Panavision or CinemaScope) content.

Just looked at the owners manual at the RCA site. Looks like a pretty good unit, it even has an input for cable. Wish the HD-Tivo have had one.

GaryW- The info in your post then leads me to conclude that the 210 is unsuitable for simultaneous HD & SD viewing (or recording). In other words, if I'm watching HD native on one set, my SD house distribution system will be sending a cropped/distorted picture, and the guide will be unusable, right?

I'd love to have some screen shots also. Why can't these manufacturers simply letter-box the 16:9 image into an SD raster. Even E*s clunky boxes can do that!

noremac said:
GaryW- The info in your post then leads me to conclude that the 210 is unsuitable for simultaneous HD & SD viewing (or recording). In other words, if I'm watching HD native on one set, my SD house distribution system will be sending a cropped/distorted picture, and the guide will be unusable, right?

I'd love to have some screen shots also. Why can't these manufacturers simply letter-box the 16:9 image into an SD raster. Even E*s clunky boxes can do that!

The DTC-210 may be unsuitable for some watching or recording HD content down converted to RF, S-Vid, or composite in 16:9 aspect on a slaved 4:3 TV. So to the later half of your other words, yes. SD is not necessarily as much of an issue unless viewing the EPG on a 4:3 TV while the receiver is in 16:9 aspect. The TS-160 suffers from same. OTA ATSC lock is better than the TS-160.

"I'd love..." Well it comes down to user preference. D* boxes "do" in full mode, but cropped HD mode is unusable. E*'s interpretation is "scale to fit". The other issue is that D* manuf's did not understand the EPG view ability issue in down convert mode. A large font D* EPG option would help.

The Toshiba DST-3100 solves a portion of the problem but introduces additional *inconveniences. In 480i component while watching SD/HD content in full mode, EPG and programming scale to 16:9 main and 4:3 down converted, but cropped HD mode "still" over scans.

I received a HTL-HD unit as a replacement for the T360. I have had 4 T360 units and all had problems. The HTL-HD was a refurbished unit and was received damaged in the box. I am now waiting for another replacement unit that will arrive today. Is D* sending out the RCA 210 again or are they still on backorder? I guess D* is just sending anything that they have laying around the warehouse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)