RCA yagi HD Outdoor TV antenna reception problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike626

Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
Vincennes, Indiana
Cut cable recently - Bills were to expensive. Purchased a RCA yagi outdoor tv antenna. To test it out - I put it on a bed inside the house, connected to 25 feet of RG6 Quad shield coax. Making sure I had it pointed in the right direction, I was picking up 10 stations, a few were around 50 miles away. Nice signals with a few breakups - but pretty solid reception. So thinking that I was getting nice signals inside, I thought I would get much better reception after mounting it off the side of old tv tower outside. I had to add 6 feet more cable ( 31 ft total length ). Used metal conduit bent 90 degrees to side mount to outdoor tower. Antenna now 15 ft above ground. Came in to test tv signal - but to my surprise, was only able to pick my local PBS stations, but nothing else. Tried adjusting directions of antenna - but no luck. There are no other obstructions, buildings - trees etc. Can not understand why I can get reception a couple of feet off ground inside the house, but now mounted outside 15 feet up, I cannot receive the longer distant stations. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can not understand why I can get reception a couple of feet off ground inside the house, but now mounted outside 15 feet up, I cannot receive the longer distant stations. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hello, Mike626; welcome to the forum.

Interesting problem. Either the antenna outside is in a location where the signals are weaker than inside, or there is a poor connection presently between the antenna and the tuner. The second possibility seems more likely.

A third remote possibility is overload from a very strong local signal.

It would be helpful if you gave us a signal report for your location. You can do one at this site (I use coordinates from Google maps):
RabbitEars.Info

As an example, this is a generic report for Vincennes

RabbitEars.Info

Reactions: Mike626
Thanks rabbit73 - Here is the signal report for my location. Shows the same as yours. Could the added cable be giving me loss of signal? I thought since it was a very short added length - It would have little effect? Do you think it would help to install new RG6 coax- without any cuts? Or preamp or amp? This is a problem that I surely thought I would not have. Also when I tested the antenna inside - It was only about 8 ft. from the outside tower. Thanks for your help - Mike626
Screenshot 2021-03-02 120943.png

Here is the signal report for my location. Shows the same as yours. Could the added cable be giving me loss of signal? I thought since it was a very short added length - It would have little effect?
Thank you for the image of your signal report. I had hoped for the link to the report or its ID number so that I could click on a callsign for additional information, but I think the image will do for now.

I don't think the short added cable is the source of the problem.
Do you think it would help to install new RG6 coax- without any cuts?
If the original coax is damaged or defective, new coax would help.
Or preamp or amp?
No, don't add an amp; WVUT is already strong enough to cause overload.
This is a problem that I surely thought I would not have. Also when I tested the antenna inside - It was only about 8 ft. from the outside tower.
WVUT is weaker with the antenna inside. But, we still don't know if the cause of the problem is because WVUT is so strong, or if the connection between the outside antenna and the TV is defective. You could try adding an attenuator in the coax.

Mike626satGuysScreenshot.jpg

You have a difficult location for OTA reception. Your signals are in different directions and there is a great difference in signal strength between the weakest and strongest signals. The strong signals make it more difficult to receive the weakest signals.

Please tell us which RCA antenna you have and the direction you have it aimed.

Last edited:
Thank you for the image of your signal report. I had hoped for the link to the report or its ID number so that I could click on a callsign for additional information, but I think the image will do for now.

I don't think the short added cable is the source of the problem.

If the original coax is damaged or defective, new coax would help.

No, don't add an amp; WVUT is already strong enough to cause overload.

WVUT is weaker with the antenna inside. But, we still don't know if the cause of the problem is because WVUT is so strong, or if the connection between the outside antenna and the TV is defective. You could try adding an attenuator in the coax.

View attachment 150727

You have a difficult location for OTA reception. Your signals are in different directions and there is a great difference in signal strength between the weakest and strongest signals. The strong signals make it more difficult to receive the weakest signals.

Please tell us which RCA antenna you have and the direction you have it aimed. Here is a photo of the antenna I have. I have it pointed 10 degrees off North going East. Pointed to Terre Haute. It is only the Stations of WTWO, WAWV, and WTHI I want to receive. When I was testing the antenna inside. I was getting all 3 of these stations. Even WTHI which should be the most difficult. But now with the antenna mounted off side of tower. None of the stations come in.
Screenshot 2021-03-02 155536.png

Is that the RCA ANT751-something? What's the present LETTER on the end? I had one of those I installed for my dad. Turns out the flat bars that swing back and connect the two pieces of antenna together, can be connected wrong, even though they look right. IF you connect them wrong, it cuts the received signal way down.

Try taking some real good pics of that connection point, and post them here for us to check.

I assume you used a simple double barrel 75 ohm connector to add the 6 feet of cable and not an unused splitter or some other device. When I have had unexpected results like yours, many times it is because the inner copper wire in the cable is just a fraction too short and not touching in the double barrel connector. Many times simply reversing or changing the connector will help. Of course changing out the cable for one piece would work but you are not going to find a ready made piece at 31 feet and it you do not have the proper tools and skill to put new fittings on the end that could cause even more problems.
I think your problem will be easily solved.

Thanks - No - did not use a splitter - Single run. I am going to replace the connectors, and replace the matching transformer at the antenna this afternoon. , And I will make sure center conductor is right length. Will let you know how it goes --- Mike

Thanks - No - did not use a splitter - Single run. I am going to replace the connectors, and replace the matching transformer at the antenna this afternoon. , And I will make sure center conductor is right length. Will let you know how it goes --- Mike
I replaced all connectors and matching transformer. Happy to say I am now receiving stations. I guess the transformer was bad or had a short in one of the connectors. I am now getting WVUT (Good Signal) WAWV (Good Signal), WTHI (Good Signal), WTWO (Weak Signal - many breakups). I will try tweeking antenna, to see I can get some improvement. But anyway - problem solved. Thank you all who replied . All your help deeply appreciated ---Mike626

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)