RCA's new converter box is DVR capable

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I've saw this at Walmart recently. RCA really updated their converter box to the point where you can call it a new OTA DVR. It even has an HDMI port in the back so you can watch and record in HD. It sort of works like the Mediasonic Homeworx box that some have mentioned on here before in that it doesn't have a built-in hard drive and you have to plug in a USB flash drive or external hard drive. I'm assuming that it only has one tuner because ironically, the new model is the same price as the old model: $50. RCA uploaded some Youtube videos on how to use it (I'm sure us tech junkies don't need to watch them but I'll post them anyway).

Note: I can't help notice, but they must have recorded these videos in Toronto because those are all Toronto stations that they show in the videos.

All the menus are the same as the HW 150 PVR. In the second video there appears 2 remotes also same as the 150 in addition to the third remote with the RCA label. Looks like a 150 repackaged into a smaller box.

Reactions: Mr Tony
You should've asked them to check the back room. But then again, they probably wouldn't know what you would be talking about. ;)
That's funny
A week ago I asked if they had any of my deodorant in the back. Seems like they're always out. the lady went and looked for it I think and then came back about 10 minutes later and said they were all out. But they'd order some. that was a week ago and they still don't have it yet.

Not that I need the converter box

Would have been a nice option to have before buying the Linkbox8000 HD Local receiver but around here the wal-marts usually have a lack of knowledgeable people in the electronics dept.