RE: Dish inserting local commercials?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

seminole2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Earth
So I watching Comedy Central (channel 107 HD) this afternoon (Tosh.0) live TV.
When the show went to commercial a local ad came up for a law firm and exterminator.
I thought that was strange, I’ve never seen a local ad on a national channel in my 15+ years having satellite TV.
The commercials were poor picture quality, they looked like unconverted SD.

I thought that was strange, so I rewound the show and there and the ad’s were gone.
In their place were Dish’s ad for NBA league pass and Aarons Furniture (national company).

My question is, has dish started to run ad’s from the Hopper DVR?
If so where are these ad’s coming from? Satellite or internet?

I haven't seen any local commercials on national channels in my area. It must still be pretty rare.

As mentioned this has nothing to do with any possible dispute, there is advertising time set aside for local advertising, Cable makes use of it all the time.

It would not be too hard to record a couple of hours of commercials (couple minutes per major market) in Dish's private space via satellite like they do with the on demand items.
You're assuming there is an uplink in each market.

Many spots now get sent (to various locations, not just Dish) as files. Some shows are now being sent via files also.

You're assuming there is an uplink in each market.

Many spots now get sent (to various locations, not just Dish) as files. Some shows are now being sent via files also.

No, simply Dish sending every Hopper every commercial for every market. They are only 60-120 seconds, so send them all to everyone and the Hopper inserts the correct one. It would be just like the on demand movies and such that Dish downlinks to all the Hoppers, all the popular PPV and things like HBO Go stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)