Re-wire dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
Hoping to get some help on an issue.

I live in a new house, have had dish since day 1. On the side of the house (like all other houses) we have a TV/Internet/phone control box. This is where the cables come in for the various services offered in the area. In the box I have 2 coax cables (while and black). One was meant for satellite, the other for cable. Also have fiber for uverse. Dish has tied into both coax cables. I have 2 HD DVRs. Not sure whether that was the reason for using both cables. I need the other coax for comcast internet (uverse costs too much).

What are my options? The builder told me that I could have dish, or someone else, re-wire the satellite so that the cables coming off the dish to into the attic, rather then the side of the house to the control box, and into my control panel in the master bedroom closet (where I have splitters, coax and ethernet for the whole house). This will free up both coax cables for other services.

Any suggestions? Would it be better to ask dish rather than a 3rd party to do this?

Who you use to re-install the service is really up to you. Currently, DISH Network charges the cost of the tech visit, which is $95 without a service plan, or $15 with a service plan. In addition to that charge, there is also "custom work" charges of $50 per line. I would be glad to assist you in making sure you know the actual cost of this, including tax (if applicable) if you would like to PM the account number or a phone number to me. I am not sure what a third-party installer would charge for similar work, but knowing the total from us will give you the ammo to shop around elsewhere as well.

One thing I would say I see frequently in installs such as yours is that usually the box on the outside of the house with that kind of setup (one white coax, one black) means that there is another D-Mark box located somewhere else in the house where everything splits (kind of like a "central nervous system"). It is possible that there is another solution to this, but without all the information, there would be no real way to check. I certainly hope this helps you out, and any further questions can be placed here.

I wouldn't start by re-wiring the dish stuff. I would let comcast come out, tell them where you want their new drop terminated and see what they say, They don't have any "rights" to the original pre-run drop from the outside box.

If comcast can't or won't install a new run in a way that you are comfortable with, then you can take the next step.

Chances are all you really need is a pair of diplexers, but I wouldn't count on the comcast tech making it that simple.

Tell that the comcast guy to run a new line,I am a dish installer and there is no way I would still have a job if I showed up and said sorry all your cables are used up.

That's why we have a drill and a truck load of cable.It's not very complicated to run new lines.

Aside from that, diplexers are not supposed to be used to combine and slpit sat and cable as there is not enough spread between the signals. It will work however, just not sure how long it will last. Best bet is to let the Comcast guy made a new penetration just like anyone else would if there was no available home run.

Comcast guy was here for 5 mins. Said that he could run a new line, but he would have to drill into the side of the house. They dont do "wall fishing". I dont want any holes on the side of the house, want a clean install. Plus i dont my hoa would approve, neither would the wife!

I could run a line through the garage, punch through the ceiling under the my closet (master is over the garage), and into the bottom of my master control panel. Then use that for one of the dish feeds. Punch a hole through the back of the service panel thats on the side of the garage. Would that work?

JM42 said:
I wouldn't start by re-wiring the dish stuff. I would let comcast come out, tell them where you want their new drop terminated and see what they say, They don't have any "rights" to the original pre-run drop from the outside box.

If comcast can't or won't install a new run in a way that you are comfortable with, then you can take the next step.

Chances are all you really need is a pair of diplexers, but I wouldn't count on the comcast tech making it that simple.

What would the diplexers do? I have 2 service lines, and each receiver uses one.

I could run a line through the garage, punch through the ceiling under the my closet (master is over the garage), and into the bottom of my master control panel. Then use that for one of the dish feeds. Punch a hole through the back of the service panel thats on the side of the garage. Would that work?

Sure would, just can't understand why comcast tech is so poorly trained. You would probably have to do the garage ceiling to MB closet floor yourself as the tech may not want a perceived damage on his hands.

Comcast guy was here for 5 mins. Said that he could run a new line, but he would have to drill into the side of the house. They dont do "wall fishing". I dont want any holes on the side of the house, want a clean install. Plus i dont my hoa would approve, neither would the wife!

That's the standard type of installation for post wired cable. It's the most common type of wiring done by both cable and satellite installers. Most cable companies won't do wall fishing because of the time and liability. Dish techs can do it, provided it's an inside wall without firebreaks or insulation. And, as Tony mentioned, custom work charges may apply. As far as HOAs go, they have absolutely no say so in the matter, and you can tell them to kindly go choke on a d**k. The wife, OTOH I would be very afraid of. :eek: Tread lightly.

Also, your garage idea is fine. I've done that type of routing many times. If you don't want external cable run, that would be your best bet. You can either do it yourself, or better yet, mark exactly where you want it to go and get that Comcast guy back out there and tell him to get to work. I would recommend drilling the hole ahead of time though.

Why are there 2 lines for sat system? Do you have multiple units in different places? Are they coming off the the switch of the dish or is it that they have 1 for sat & 1 for OTA? Also if you have an exterior box have you found the interior box that splits out to the other locations? If you know where the later is you may be able to just pull 2 lines with one of the existing lines and there you will have both sat & cable line.

whatchel1 said:
Why are there 2 lines for sat system? Do you have multiple units in different places? Are they coming off the the switch of the dish or is it that they have 1 for sat & 1 for OTA? Also if you have an exterior box have you found the interior box that splits out to the other locations? If you know where the later is you may be able to just pull 2 lines with one of the existing lines and there you will have both sat & cable line.

There are 2 lines coming off the dish. 1 for each reciever i guess.

Another idea is to have comcast run a line around the side of the house, from the service panel to the kitchen where they can drill into the wall, and tie into the coax i have there. Then the "kitchen line" in my master contol panel would become the service line. Shouldnt have to pay anything on top of regular install fees ($25)

Another idea is to have comcast run a line around the side of the house, from the service panel to the kitchen where they can drill into the wall, and tie into the coax i have there. Then the "kitchen line" in my master contol panel would become the service line. Shouldnt have to pay anything on top of regular install fees ($25)

That also works. I've done that kind of thing more times than I can count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)