Reactivating My Shaw Service

cmh2001

Original poster
May 23, 2009
Tulsa OK
I disconnected my Shaw service in July of 2010 becuase I was living in an apartment. I have since moved to a house (in anothe state) and want to reconnect my service. However I have spent the last three nights on my roof and cannot get more than 45 in signal strength. I have a great view of the sky. I have set my dish up a number of times and not had this kind of problem.

I have not reactivated my receiver. Does that make a difference if I am just searching for satellite signal strength?

I have a JSC singal LNB. Is it fragile? Is it likely that it could have been damaged in my move?

My skew is supposed to be 15.1 degrees. Which way am I suppoed to turn the LNB? Looking towars te satellite, I turned mine clockwise.

I have not reactivated my receiver. Does that make a difference if I am just searching for satellite signal strength?
no

I have a JSC singal LNB. Is it fragile? Is it likely that it could have been damaged in my move?
does it say STANDARD or UNIVERSAL on it? Standard is what you need
My skew is supposed to be 15.1 degrees. Which way am I suppoed to turn the LNB? Looking towars te satellite, I turned mine clockwise.
If you are standing behind the dish looking up towards the LNB (and the sky) that is correct skew

I don't have channel 354 in my channel list that is availble to me. Therefore I can't find a 'clear' channel to use to align my dish.

What are my options to fix my alignment? Reset my receiver? If I do that won't it be impossible to get the proper alignment?

I have considered buying a new receiver. Do I need to go to that extreme? Will my existing antenna and LNB work with a new basic receiver?

how about 299? Can you see that

What are my options to fix my alignment? Reset my receiver? If I do that won't it be impossible to get the proper alignment?
no even if the reciever is in a virgin state (or rebooted) there is a channel (284 I think) that you can use to aim the dish
I have considered buying a new receiver. Do I need to go to that extreme? Will my existing antenna and LNB work with a new basic receiver?
the existing setup will work fine as long as its aimed properly

I can key in 299 and it goes to that. It says its the Direct channel. But when I go to the signal bar function the channel number says 000.

I did the factory reset. I set the receiver onto channel 284. I went on to the roof again, its like 101 degrees here! I was able to get my signal up to 27, which is the best I've gotten in two days, so I am somewhat happy with that. I don't think that will be enough to make it work though.

Ok, I have my receiver and TV set up in the garage and just for fun I checked it when I got home from work today. The first thing I noticed is that I have a full channel guide. I have all the channel numbers I had before, I still don't get 354. I checked to see if I could view any channels. I can get channel 397. Its the Shaw Direct interactive weather channel. I checked my signal strength on the installation settings and it still says 25.

So my question is, if I get my service reactivated, is my TV going to work on the regular channels? If not, what could be causing my low signal? I've been to the roof many times and I dont know if I can get any better signal.

if you received guide data, your receiver is getting signal from the satellite. your strength is 25, I am wondering what your Ecb is. this is a more accurate measure options 6-4-7, line c. you will have to wait about 30 seconds for this value to appear.

also, when you tune in channel 354, does the indicator light on your receiver turn green?

the Op sent me a PM and mentioned his ebno is +2.6 so it sounds like he is off by just a smidge

With a 30" dish the ebno should be +7.5 or greater

The first night a tried to align the dish I was up at about 45 on the signal bar. I haven't been able to attain that number since then. I'm not sure why. I'm going to reactivate tomorrow so we will see how that goes and see if I can adjust it a little more tomorrow night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts