Read About My Nightmare As A Dish Network Customer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dufoenet

Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I just wanted to say how happy I am to once again be a DirecTV customer. I started out with a DirecTV receiver with built in TiVo which I enjoyed for some time. Thinking the grass was greener on the other side, I switched over to Dish Network because I was enticed thinking that I could get a three room install with two DVR receivers that would probably be as good as TiVo. Boy was I ever wrong!

To get to the point, by switching to Dish Network and their psuedo TiVo, which they refer to as Dish Player, I endured a 5 month nightmare as a customer of Dish Network. I am now back to DirecTV and where I originally had one TiVo with that service, we now have three of which two are IRDs and one is a stand alone unit.

If you are thinking about switching to Dish Network for either their service or because of their Dish Player, I strongly suggest that you read about what happened to me at: http://www.dufoenet.com/dishnetwork.html

I just wanted to say how happy I am to once again be a DirecTV customer. I started out with a DirecTV receiver with built in TiVo which I enjoyed for some time. Thinking the grass was greener on the other side, I switched over to Dish Network because I was enticed thinking that I could get a three room install with two DVR receivers that would probably be as good as TiVo. Boy was I ever wrong!

To get to the point, by switching to Dish Network and their psuedo TiVo, which they refer to as Dish Player, I endured a 5 month nightmare as a customer of Dish Network. I am now back to DirecTV and where I originally had one TiVo with that service, we now have three of which two are IRDs and one is a stand alone unit.

If you are thinking about switching to Dish Network for either their service or because of their Dish Player, I strongly suggest that you read about what happened to me at: http://www.dufoenet.com/dishnetwork.html

I am going to post this to our retailers site. :)

Who did you ordered your Dish Network service and equipment who did you order it from? A local retailer? Or Dish Network themselves?

That's funny because I just switched to Directv (didn't have a choice, living in an apartment). And the first few days, I was ready to throw the damn tivo against the wall. It's so amazingly slow. The program guide is practically unuseable, you literally see it load block by block. No wonders no one watches live tv with a tivo, you never know what's on! The userinterface is also tiring, every menu you go into, it has to slide in and out then wait, why can't they just show you what it is that you want. Lots of its' menus are also very dumbed down. ie. Cancel is replaced by 'I don't want to change anything'.

I'm not saying the Tivo is all bad, but I'm just trying to argue against you and show that some people actually do like the Dish DVRs. The tivo does have nice features, at first I really did hate it, it just drove me nuts. The season passes are nice and I like how it compensates when you're using fast forward and hit play. But the 721 (the receiver I used with dish) also had some great features the Tivo doesn't have, ie. automatically knows the channels you receive, super fast guide, a PIP in every menu, PIP ability and just much faster in all aspects. I'm using the new R10 btw, so it's already 50% faster than most Tivos out there.

I have began to like the Tivo but it is a learning curve. Everything feels different, some for me are better, some worse. I think it comes down to your viewing style. Time will tell which I prefer.

Just read most of your story. Indeed, that's horrible and I'm glad you're happy now. Keep us updated as to what happens. Hopefully they'll compensate you.

I read your account at your website and just wonder if you have contacted the BBB and also your State's Attorney General's office? I would immediately contact them about your issues and see what they can do to resolve it. The problem you have happens for Satellite customers which is an incompetent third party installer. I have heard complaints about D* installs just as bad as yours. Seems both D* and E* when using a third party don't have much to offer in case of a problem but " sincere apologies" because of the installer being third party. One thing I feel strongly about is that if a person isn't following your instructions to do work at your house then have them stop immediately until things can be remedied.

I had good luck the one time I had a E* authorized service person come out. I installed my own E* system but had a problem with some channels so Dish offered to send a service person (third party) to my house free of charge, the guy was competent and did a good job even though the problem turned out to be with the channel transmission and required work at the up-link center.

I hope you get your roof fixed and money for your cabinet. Since you canceled Dish (correct?) hope things work out for you.

AppliedAggression said:
That's funny because I just switched to Directv (didn't have a choice, living in an apartment). And the first few days, I was ready to throw the damn tivo against the wall. It's so amazingly slow. The program guide is practically unuseable, you literally see it load block by block. No wonders no one watches live tv with a tivo, you never know what's on! The userinterface is also tiring, every menu you go into, it has to slide in and out then wait, why can't they just show you what it is that you want. Lots of its' menus are also very dumbed down. ie. Cancel is replaced by 'I don't want to change anything'.

I'm not saying the Tivo is all bad, but I'm just trying to argue against you and show that some people actually do like the Dish DVRs. The tivo does have nice features, at first I really did hate it, it just drove me nuts. The season passes are nice and I like how it compensates when you're using fast forward and hit play. But the 721 (the receiver I used with dish) also had some great features the Tivo doesn't have, ie. automatically knows the channels you receive, super fast guide, a PIP in every menu, PIP ability and just much faster in all aspects. I'm using the new R10 btw, so it's already 50% faster than most Tivos out there.

I have began to like the Tivo but it is a learning curve. Everything feels different, some for me are better, some worse. I think it comes down to your viewing style. Time will tell which I prefer.
If you had a 721 you should see a marked improvement in reliability with your TiVo. As you are learning TiVo is not for surfing it does not have the guide speed of DISH products but it has far more reliability and the NOW PLAYING LIST will replace the guide for you over time as you get more recordings. :)

First you do have a lawsuit against Carrol's satellite for property damage, second at any point you could have told him to leave, if anybody exhibits incompetence ask them to leave. Third was their line of site for the 2nd dish anywhere else on the property, that dish is bolted in with 1/2" lag screws and they are needed you should have just asked if it could be at a different location. If a person continues to damage your home you don't have him finish you have him leave

dufoenet,

I feel your pain. I had the same great idea that you had and decided to try Dish network after being with Directv for 7 years. Boy was that a mistake. That is how I chose my screen name. The grass is not greener on the other side. Directv and there equipment is SO much better that Dish Network. I swithed to Dish last October and came back to Directv this past weekend. I almost feel strange by not having to reboot my equipment or do a 'check switch'.

It is good to be home my friend.

That really sucks. I wouldnt have let the installer leave with the roof damage. Some of the Pics are pretty blurry I dont know if thats on my end or what. Hope you get your money back from them.

I am a D* installer, I do E* to D* change overs every day. People are fickle, they are never satisfied and always think someone else has it better, as long as they are this way they will continue to switch back & forth. Great, keeps D* & E* both in business, and me doing installs.
As for your experience, I think there is one way you could have avoided all your problems. It appears you took an instant dislike to the tech, fair enough not everyone likes everyone else, but if he seemed that unprofessional from the get go, you should have called the install off. In fact, you could have opted out at anytime that day with little or no hassle. Buyer's remorse, happens all the time. When he started grabbing the equipment out the front of the entertainment center you should have said something like, "be careful, your damaging my furniture" or "hold on, I'll pull that away from the wall so you can do your wiring" (he had to either pull out the equipment or pull it away from the wall, how else was he supposed to install wiring in that area). You were there, you saw him move the equipment, you saw what was happening, you could have said something to make it stop at any point but didn't. So, you hold some of the responsibility of what happened. I mean if you see a man with visibly muddy boots at the door of your newly carpeted home, you don't just say, "come right in" do you? No, you'd say something like, "wipe your feet good, we just got new carpet" or "would you mind slipping off your shoes, we just got new carpet".
I understand you had a bad experience, it happens to a lot of people. And I am in no way trying to stand up for this yahoo of an installer or for E*, which I agree has lousy service and equipment. My suggestion is that you patch the roof as best you can, get one of those furniture stain pens and touch up the scratches from the equipment, and then put this experience behind you. Obsesing over it will only cause you grief, and stress which you have already had enough of. I'm not say forget the whole thing, just don't let it beat you up man. When someone asks your opinion of either D* or E* give it to them honestly. As for starting court action over the matter, if that makes you happy then go for it, but if it is something that is going to actually increase your stress levels, let it go and chalk it up as one of those life stories ("The nightmare that began when I signed up for DishNetwork"). Take it from someone who knows, stress is a killer, damn near killed me five years ago, but I'm feeling much better now.

dufoenet said:
I strongly suggest that you read about what happened to me at: http://www.dufoenet.com/dishnetwork.html

Where is the damage on the cabinet? I'm not seeing it. I can not tell from the poor quality pictures that there are any damages. I can only guess that you are making a fuss about some micro scratches to your furniture. How long after the install did you notice this damage?

Also concerning the patio roof penetrations. That is hardly damage. Your complaint is more cosmetic than anything. Those spikes are called lag bolts. If the installer would have used 'regular screws' as you suggested then you risk the dish swaying or being ripped off which WOULD result in some damage. Granted I personally would have tried to mount it over a rafter to hide the lag bolts. If that wasnt possible, then I would have at least cut the lag bolts off and charged you a custom work fee for it (And I am a DirecTv installer.) Get yourself a hack saw and cut off the excess if it really is such an eyesore to you. A little touch up paint, and your problem is solved. Dish mounting often requires roof penetrations. Any customer with common sense is aware of this.

In both cases it looks like in your write up that you are not making a fuss about any of this until months after the install. Which really makes you look bad in Dish Network's eyes. Hint Hint, pull the same thing with DirecTv and expect similar treatment from them as well.

Bottom line is if you signed off on the installers paperwork at the time of install without bringing up these issues then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I switched from dish to direct myself. I had the same types of headaches. but jeez i read the entire thing.

In the contract it says you have to return the LNBF if you cancel... You signed it and are therefore legally liable. if you didnt read it unfortunately thats your own fault. If you fell and injured yourself you would have no grounds to take E* to court as You were getting up on your roof to remove a piece of equipment on LEASE (look up the legal definition... you have sole responsibility for that piece of equipment while its on your roof) instead of paying a reasonable (legal terminology ~Labor cost) fee to have someone else do it.

The 1 box... they arent even required to send you any boxes... again check the contract. they could send you prepaid labels and be done with you. Hell they sent me 2 very small boxes for my 4 receivers and lnbf.. i bitched then read the contract. Ended up using a couple of boxes i had.

Furniture damage? What those little dings that could be caused by anything... lord i could take my fingernail and do that... get a furniture touch up kit (can be as cheap as 5 dollars) and take care of that... ther eisnt 300 dollars in damage to taht... maybe 5 dollars if even

roof damage... it isnt that bad... just cut those ends off and paint the bottom... big woop... if you remove the mast up there... seal the roof... again not 300 dollars worht of damage... maybe 15 dollars in parts.

To conclude... dish really doesnt owe you anything except maybe 20 dollars.

Did I mention I hate Dish network for what they put me through? I do... but your story and situation takes it way way too far...

Exactly, the customer has final say in the install of the dish, as long as LOS can be had at another location. I've seen some that the roof was the only location. Also by the looks of the lag screws coming thru the roof, those are not oversized, however the installer did fail to miss the rafter. Hitting the rafter is very important when mounting a dish. Also, don't expect an installer to do everything that is asked of him/her unless your willing to pay for a custom install. Most of the damage to the entertainment center could have been avoided with just careful placement.

I don't care what anyone says. That install looks terrible. I would have hit the roof (no pun intended) if someone would have damaged my cabinet. I am glad that I can do my own installs. There are good installers and there are bad installers. Looks like you were unfortunate and got a bad one. Sorry that happened. Good luck in the future.

Wow, I read your whole story! Took awhile. My conclusion is this: The installer was a moron (I am a D and E installer). Very poor workmanship and attitude. The next thing just reflects on what has been said. You signed for it, then apparently you approved of it! Sorry but normally thats the bottom line! If there is a problem during the install you either solve it with the installer or tell him to leave. The bolts protruding thru the roof is normal. Did you tell him to mount it there? If so you would have lags protruding no matter what. As for the installer, just another moron who comes in to collect a paycheck. Doesnt seem to care for the customer. I feel sorry for you, but I must ask, why report this 5 MONTHS AFTER THE FACT? If someone had done this to me I wouldve been on the phone and making noise everyday from that point on til someone fixed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)