Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Recent STB lockups might have been caused by an outage at Moto and by the delivery of a corrupted tuning map.

If your STB is locked up, try this:

1. SOFT REBOOT: Press and hold the power button on the STB itself for 10 seconds. The amber lights will start blinking. Wait a few minutes. If the screen is dark and the satellite icon is off, press the power button once to turn the STB on.

2. HARD REBOOT: Unplug the STB for 10 seconds and plug it in again. Wait a few minutes. If the screen is black, press the the power button once to turn the STB on.

3. If the box is still dead, CALL VOOM and request a replacement.​
I just received the following emails from Wilt:
Wilt said:
The boxes that won't come back from a soft or hard reboot will need to be changed, unfortunately. It did have to do with two things happening simultaneously but the key was an outage at Moto and the delivery, after the fix of that, of a corrupted tuning map. Some of the boxes had a really bad response to that.
Wilt

Soft reboot--power button on front, hold for 10 seconds or so.
If that doesn't work, hard reboot--unplug the box for 10 seconds or so, If that doesn't work, schedule a call for the box to be changed, describe the issue--can't promise the rep won't walk them through the same steps above.
Wilt

Great, What I've been looking for!

:) Thanks, this fits my problem to a T! Just hope my service tech. brings a new STB. Maybe I will call to see that he does.

About an hour ago I placed my 3rd call to VOOM and he scheduled a service call for August 9th two and a half weeks ago. WTF? As I am reading this post, I just got a call from another VOOM person who said he is going to try to schedule a call earlier.

Maybe they should use a cow as their logo like Gateway, the certainly know how to step in it and shovel it.

UPDATE:

Well since I last posted at 3PM EDT, VOOM called again and said that a tech would be out to my house within two hours with a new box to replace the fried one. He did come and it was his first install with the new 6.0. He was a little shocked and couldn't compete installation. VOOM called me back and walked me thru the install and now I am VOOMING AGAIN. With the new 6.00, the pq seems a bit improved but will make further judgements later. Also gave me a credit for the time I was down. I also will VOOM credit for being pro-active. they took a big hit and a lot of scrambling. Glad that a box was availabe in my area and I didn't have to wait 2 and a half weeks to get one replaced.

P.S. I jsut wish there was an instruction manual or someting for the new 6.00. It is trial and error at this time.

I really don't see why VOOM can just ship you a box and a mailing label to send the unit back in.

Only roll a truck if the person can not or does not want to swap out the box themselves.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I really don't see why VOOM can just ship you a box and a mailing label to send the unit back in.

Only roll a truck if the person can not or does not want to swap out the box themselves.

Good point, especially if they don't ship the box with an access card and just have the user swap that out themselves.

Somehow, Dishnetwork manages this just fine. They sent me some empty boxes the other week to send back their units I had leased. Pretty simple, if they didn't get them back, I was charged for them. Seems like Voom could do the same thing. Send a new box, if the other isn't returned, charge them for it.

Doesn't seem like rocket science.

Scott Greczkowski said:

This kind of reminds me of my dealing with Dish Network when I got my 811 receiver, I said just send it to me and I'll install it, (I've done everything else regarding my Dish Network Setup) they said no we have to send out someone to install it because its a sophiscated piece of equipment, what a joke or should I say two jokers that came, neither one knew what a DVI cable was neither one knew you needed to connect an audio cable and the funniest thing that day was when one of tnem said is this a HD television?

I can only recieve OTA signals now and get nothing from the dish. Is this that problem?

quincy said:
I can only recieve OTA signals now and get nothing from the dish. Is this that problem?
This is half of it! If you get nothing but a red sat. light on front pannel and no OTA or Dish, NOTHING just RED LIGHT!