Ready For FTA Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwrico

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Noble Oklahoma
Hello, everyone. I ordered my first free to air set up from Sadoun. It will be here on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be up and running before I know it. Ha ha. I am taking pictures of the install. Here are my first two. :D PIC-0142.jpg

PIC-0143.jpg

Well I think I put some pics up If not I'll redo it in a bit.

Yes it is a motorized unit. I ordered the 90cm dish, fortec Dynamic, and the upgrade lnb. I can't remember I think it is a dual lnb. As far as the shadows, those trees are way off to the west. My southern view is pretty good. I cant go to far eastward from due south, I can go westward quite a bit. I have got alot of old, (tall) oak trees on my property. I am excited though. I hope everything goes smooth. I'll take some photos of my due south and post.

sky views

Ok here are my views of the southern sky area. The south and southwest views have trees that are about 300 feet away and probaby 50 feet tall. I think I should be ok The South east view is my worry. I am located in Oklahoma and dont know how many sats are towards the southeast. I guess I'll know in a few days.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• south.jpg
    south.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 173
  • swest.jpg
    swest.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 189
  • seast.jpg
    seast.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 152
Here's a pic of the south side of my house , and my dishes. You may not have a problem. I don't have any problem clearing the house next door. You, being more south, will have an even better elevation angle .
:)

Attachments

• Dish-arrangement.jpg
    Dish-arrangement.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 170
It's Hughes Net. It's ok I guess, better than dial up. But at $100 bucks a month I would really rather have DSL or Cable modem.:(

I got an email from Sadoun that my order would arrive today. But I double checked UPS and it is showing up tomorow. I am ready to give it the old college try. Hope it all goes well. I'll put some more pics up when I get stuff going.

It's Hughes Net. It's ok I guess, better than dial up. But at $100 bucks a month I would really rather have DSL or Cable modem.:(

Ive seen the speed of Huges Net at my friends house and it kinda made me wish they had dialup...lol

I cannot get cable or dsl either. I currently use my at&t cell phone as a modem and I got to say it blows away dialup. On a bad day I get 25kb/s and on a good day I get 120kb/s. My normal download speed is from 45-65kb/s. It sure beats 1-2kb/s on dialup. Im not sure what my friends huges net gets but ive seen them downloading at 300kb/s and then all of a sudden it droped to .2kb/s, I know I woudnt be happy. For mine and my girlfriends cell phones I pay $90 a month including the internet. Before my discount is taken out the bill is around $109. I thought it was better road than satellite and a plus is I can take it almost anywhere, and It can even be used while going down the road in a car. I live in an EDGE coverage area so im hoping they will bring 3G here soon. With 3G I would get download around 1mb/s with barley any latency.

I was reading the other day as a rule of thumb:
For every 20 feet you can get back from an object you can gain 14 ft of clearance of that obstacle when ever your dish can have at least a 31% angle.
Of course your angle is based on the satellite you want to hit along with your latitude and longitude.

Just some info I picked up trying to learn about my own install- to- be.

This is way off topic.... I noticed Noble, OK....... I have to say that I sure do miss Thunder Valley..... I used to go up there from Lawton to race in the Icicle Nationals. Those were the days!

I was reading the other day as a rule of thumb:
For every 20 feet you can get back from an object you can gain 14 ft of clearance of that obstacle when ever your dish can have at least a 31% angle.
Of course your angle is based on the satellite you want to hit along with your latitude and longitude.

Just some info I picked up trying to learn about my own install- to- be.

It's actually more like 12 feet. The tangent of 31 degrees is .6001, and .6 times 20 is 12. To get 14 feet you need an angle of 35 degrees or more.

Help in set up

Hello, I have just installed the following equipment.

Dynamic Fortec Reciever
qph 031 lnb
sm 21h 22 khz switch
sg2100 motor.

Ok now the questions.

On the lnb does it matter with output C or L connects to witch input on the sm21h switch.

The quick setup list using galaxy 25 to calibrate dish. It appears to be missing from list of reciever. Is it called something else in menu?

The lnb is not universal correct?

Im sure I'll have more questions tonight as Im trying to get this working.

Thanks in adavance.

:confused:

merged the above post into the original thread. Please try to keep the install process in one thread ;)

On the lnb does it matter with output C or L connects to witch input on the sm21h switch.
no
The quick setup list using galaxy 25 to calibrate dish. It appears to be missing from list of reciever. Is it called something else in menu?
IA5 or T5

The lnb is not universal correct?
standard LNB LO Freq 10750

here is a list of what satellite is where and what it use to be called
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/71402-what-satellite-where.html

This is way off topic.... I noticed Noble, OK....... I have to say that I sure do miss Thunder Valley..... I used to go up there from Lawton to race in the Icicle Nationals. Those were the days!

I used to listen to the cars run down the track at night, during the summer. How long ago did you live around here?

No, but just make note of which one went where, you will have to enter that info in the Receiver's Setup Menu.
I would connect the "L" to the 22KHz Off port(or Zero KHZ) and the "C" to the 22KHz On port. The Setup Menu default is 22KHz OFF, so you would only have to enter the 22KHz On for the few Echostar Sats that have Free Channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)