Ready to pull the trigger on New Plasma. Comments?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Looking at new Plasma. Compared to LCD, LED I feel plasma for my taste is the finest picture. The one I have chosen is. The Samsung PN64E7000FFXZA. Seems to be the best priced and has a lot of great reviews. Only negatives I read are.Can have a buzz and sound is poor. I use a AVR for all viewing and as for the buzz I use a AVR for all viewing. lol Really the buzz I have on my current Plasma I have to be next to it to hear it. Any comments welcome Thanks.

I too believe Plasma has a better PQ than LCD/LED. Since you already have a plasma, you are aware of the drawbacks in owning one. I myself prefer DLP over both LCD and Plasma as far as PQ goes. DLP's have significantly higher maintenance than plasma and LCD but that maintenance will bring the set right back up to original PQ. Once plasma cells start to dim or pixels die in LCD's, you are buying a new set. The electronics are the first to go in these sets though with plasma sets being a bit more modular with separate boards instead of a single controller board. The main replacement parts in a DLP are the lamps ( $70 ), fans ( $10 ), color wheel ( $60 ), and DMD ( $160. ) The entire DLP light engine usually is no more than $400 and I would probably go this route if the Formatter board gave up the ghost. The total cost-of-ownership ( not including electricity ) has been two lamps and a DMD after 5.5 years.

You have to assume that any failure past the warranty period will result in the replacement of the set. Plasma is a fine technology. I have 2 plasma sets, 2 LCD, and 2 projection sets/systems. The only drawback for plasma that I see is that rooms with lots of sunlight will hurt plasma. LCD can also be hurt if it has a glossy finish in bright rooms.

I personally like the picture better on plasma. If you have an appropriate viewing environment (i.e. no direct sunlight near the TV) plasma will be a fine choice.

E7000 is a nice set, only other thing I could recommend over it is a GT50, just because I prefer a Panasonic and the GT has lower black level. Regardless, the E series is a nice display. You will want to use Movie mode.

I do not find DLP even close to Plasma as far as PQ. But I do see why someone might like it better if that makes sense. I have had a rear projection.LCD, JVC DLP, and Plasma. The Plasma has been the best so far 58 inch Samsung. Two years old still looks stunning. I upgrade a lot and sell my old sets while they still have value. I have seen LED sets , they look good but for the up'ed price plasma seems like a better choice and not any loss in quality. Thanks for the responses. Peace. BTW the 58 goes to my son for graduation. ;)

A bit of subject as they don't sell them anymore, but one my tv's is a 55 inch Toshiba read projection and some seven years later HD picture looks great. Helps that we don't run the tv many hours as its in our basement.

Right now I have a 42 inch Samsung plasma with a line going down the screen about four inches off the side that changes color, needless to say not happy after only about two years I have to call a repair person, second issue with this tv as previously I had an issue where the tv would not turn on, I was told it was a board issue. Not looking foward to seeing what it might cost to repair

Plasma's that size run around 300 to 400 be careful what you spend. I have fixed sets for friends but I have not had any trouble myself. If you do a search you care find what it's going to take to fix it. More then likely it's a well known problem for that model. Most fixes are a board or capacitor. Later runs a bout 10 bucks. Boards are all over the map. Having said all that, sounds like the panel. New set. :( You might get lucky. Peace

A lot of the sets I wanted were out of stock finally found a Samsung PN60E8000. Paid 1800 with free shipping. Should have it by on 4-17-2013. I am really cranked up. bought extra glasses even though I thought I would never use 3D. The Samsung high ends models can be upgraded in the future with a kit that makes it like a new set. cost on the kits is like 300. But that beats 3k for a new set. adds to the processor like from a dual to a quad. Kinda nice that it is upgradeable and is there top of the line as of now. Peace and thanks for the feed back. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)