Ready to upgrade to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not clear from above that you realize this. The 722 has a single OTA tuner built in at no extra cost. The 722k has a two-tuner module that is (at least for some people) extra cost.

Not clear from above that you realize this. The 722 has a single OTA tuner built in at no extra cost. The 722k has a two-tuner module that is (at least for some people) extra cost.
Thanks for that...so, if a single OTA tuner meets my needs (likely), then what other advantages are there over the 722 that the 722k provides (firmware?)? If it's just the optional dual tuner OTA module, I can probably live with just the 722. But then I'm back to possibly getting a 622 (which I'm sure I don't want).

There is one really big advantage to the k. AFAIK,You can transfer/store your timers in the remote. If the receiver dies, you can transfer your timers to the new unit. I have a 722 and it is a big pain to have to reprogram timers.

Huge? It's insignificant around here since my 722 has never died. ;) Have I jinxed myself? :eek:

Huge? It's insignificant around here since my 722 has never died. ;) Have I jinxed myself? :eek:
The recent software update took out the schedule on each of my 722s. I had most in my spreadsheet listing my 2000+ movies and other recordings. So storing them in the remote would have saved a while.
-Ken

So much to think about. Here is my summarized thoughts based on the responses so far (thanks to all who have contributed):

922 advantages: double HD space, snazzier UI (don't care, substance over style...but what about UI response? is it slower, quicker?), 3D (again, don't care at this point), will be certain to get the model I want without jumping through hoops

722 advantages: $200 less upfront + $4 less billed per month, perceived stability (less bugs), UI more in line with our current familiarity

Sling capabilities are not a concern, but the OTA module is. Thus, I would want to make sure I get the 722k if I go that route. Ordering the $99 sling adaptor still doesn't guarantee I get a 722k? (so I can use the optional OTA module) If true, the 922 may be the way to go. Zach did not mention the extra amount for the DVR service fee on the 922. Can you confirm, Zach?

EDIT: Can I order an OTA module from Dish when I put in the upgrade order, thus forcing them to give me a 722k?

The HD space being larger on the 922 becomes less of a plus when you get an EHD (or a bunch in my case.) As for guaranteeing you get a 722k, just be there when the installer arrives, and send him on his way if he doesn't have some 722ks.

Better schedule a replacement for next now. ;)
I jinxed myself! Damn it! Turned on this morning and got the overheating message. Power cycling and the FAN is now making a fluttering sound. It eventually cooled itself down and works, but that fan is not long for this world.

I jinxed myself! Damn it! Turned on this morning and got the overheating message. Power cycling and the FAN is now making a fluttering sound. It eventually cooled itself down and works, but that fan is not long for this world.
Wow, that is crazy. Let me know if you want to setup for a replacement.

Wow, that is crazy. Let me know if you want to setup for a replacement.
Thank you Zach. This is an owned 722. Will Dish still replace it, or do I need the Protection Plan?

After I left for work, my wife reports that the high temp popup came back. She gave up and unplugged it so it didn't destroy anything. I'm definitely going to have to do something about the fan. I'm tempted to simply replace the fan rather than bother Dish by replacing the whole thing. Anybody know what kind of fan is in there?

It would be able to be replaced but there would be a cost (don't know off the top of my head). You could add the Protection Plan and it would cover it. If you want to PM your account number I could get you the exact price.

I may be wrong, but from other threads, the only cost should be $15 for shipping the old one back. I had the overheating problem last Feb. I would unplug it for an hour or so and then plug it in and download my stored programs to the ehd. I would get an hour or so before it overheated again. Was able to get everything off and write down my timers.

I may be wrong, but from other threads, the only cost should be $15 for shipping the old one back. I had the overheating problem last Feb. I would unplug it for an hour or so and then plug it in and download my stored programs to the ehd. I would get an hour or so before it overheated again. Was able to get everything off and write down my timers.
Correct shipping is $15, but if the purchased receiver is out of warranty there would be a cost for the receiver. The protection plan would be like an extended warranty. The warranty on a purchased receiver is only good for 1 year.

Anybody know what kind of fan is in there?
The answer is a 60X60X25mm case fan that pulls 0.23amps and (according to my replacement) moves 26cfm. The replacement seems to be working fine. $10 at Micro Center.

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone here have a recommendation for a reputable local dealer/installer here in the Jacksonville FL area?

...... Was able to get everything off and write down my timers.

Don't write them down! Someone posted a great, and in retrospect, obvious, idea: Just take digital photos of them. Save a lot of time and effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts