Ready to Upgrade to Hopper - two antennas?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

heikki

Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Southern Florida
I'm getting ready to upgrade to Hopper with Sling and one Joye. I have VIP722 with Revue and OTA, and a plain 811.
What's the best way to get the upgrade done right?
Why do I need two separate satellite dishes on the roof?
Years ago the installer said that in order to receive HD I needed two dishes.
Dish Antennas.jpg

We might be better able to answer your question if you told us where you are. A lot of things have happened, over years ago, involving local channels in HD. The odds are you could get everything you need on a single dish that looks at 3 satellites...

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Hopper with Sling and one Joye. I have VIP722 with Revue and OTA, and a plain 811.
What's the best way to get the upgrade done right?
Why do I need two separate satellite dishes on the roof?
Years ago the installer said that in order to receive HD I needed two dishes.
View attachment 88619

Hi and :welcome to Sat Guys. There could be a number of reasons for the dual dishes but DISH maybe able to get you on a one dish set-up. If you would like to PM me your account or phone number and the four digit pin number on your account and I can review your account and advise you further. Thank you!

Deleted - wrong guess. Next post nailed it. Wish I'd have remembered that.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
The explanation is that dish used to use a mixed arc and to get all the channels on the different sats, you had to have 2 dish's. In recent years they have moved to easter and western arc's. Now you can have 1 dish and get all your channels including locals. Only exception might be if you have the latino or international packages.

Ah! 110/119/61.5

I should have deduced that from the picture.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think that picture shows a 119/110/61.5 setup, unless he is south of the equator! :eek:

If the twin LNB (dish with OTA on the mast) is pointing to the southwest, the other dish (with single LNB) must be pointing further to the west. That would imply the wing dish is pointing at 129, but the difference in the azimuth angles looks to be way more than the 10-15 degrees that would be needed. So, is it pointing at 148? That would get him zero signal.

Correct me if I'm wrong (or seeing things), but I am really curious as to what orbitals this person is receiving.

Excellent response from Mary [DIRT] in PM's yesterday evening. I have a tech coming out on Tuesday morning with a new Hopper with Sling and Joye. The two dishes will be replaced with a single 1000.2 dish. This is what I call customer service!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)