REAL big dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mchomicz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I was hoping that a 1 m dish would give fighting chance against these damn trees... Alas - satellites of most interest to me are hiding behind a very, VERY nice, big tree... I think I finally found my next dish upgrade:

http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/2_4M.pdf

:D

Seriously though - does anybody have a 2.4m dish like this one? Short of living above the Arctic Circle - what would be the purpose of such a gigantic dish?

Michael

It all depends on your need or what your trying to receive with this dish. I use a 10' (3.05m) C/Ku dish. The larger the collection surface the higher the signal gain. If you have trees or building blockage, etc, a larger dish will not solve these issues. You will need to move or elevate the dish's location to eliminate the obstruction(s) from teh line of sight.

This post didn't mention, so I am not sure if you are needing this for data/internet, C, Ku, C/Ku combo, DVB/FTA, or a combo of ALL. If you can shed the light on that, then we can get more detailed.

charper1 said:
If you can shed the light on that

I have an FTA system that I just put together around a 1 m Winegard. I'm catching a lot with it - excpet the two birds I’d REALLY like to have: AMC 3 and Intelsat Americas 6. It’s not going to happen unless the tree directly in front of my dish loses some leaves - perhaps in November. I’m getting “green” signal on one of the transponders but it’s intermittent and not enough to actually get anything. I can’t really move the dish to a different spot. I was sort of joking about buying a 2 meter dish. It’s really expensive (presumably – more than $390 which is the price of 1.8 m dish as seen here http://www.satellitedish.com/cata0052.htm ); and probably hard to transport. Though it looks like it’s probably easier to direct at what you’re looking for than my current dish (“Fine azimuth and elevation adjustments” - http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/2_4M.pdf )

So my question is not really about whether or not it would be a good idea for me to buy this thing because it’s out of the question (did run it by the wife just to see what she’d say; she said NO). The question really is: what type of Ku application would require such a monster (I realize it can be used for C band; but since it is “Available with a wide variety of Ku-Band[…] feed options” then presumably there are people who use it just for that.

Thanks,
Michael

mchomicz said:
The question really is: what type of Ku application would require such a monster (I realize it can be used for C band; but since it is “Available with a wide variety of Ku-Band[…] feed options” then presumably there are people who use it just for that.

The average home user would have little need for this size Ku only dish. If you're running a business and it depends on getting a consistent signal, you would buy this size or larger. Go down to your local cable companies downlink facility and take a look at their dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts