Real Mexican food and Grocery Store :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I LOVE IT! I got transferred at work back in May, and down the street there is a Mexican grocery store that has a food stand (the inside restaruant just opened). and this is the first time I have had REAL Mexican food. AWESOME!!!!!!! I go there several times a week, and buy all my chips, tostadas and other related items there. I just got back from an afternoon snack - alambre and a diet coke. $3.00 for the alambre, and it fills me up :) It is the best tasting stuff ever! I go in so much, I now know the family of people that run the place. Only 2 of them speak english. They are all real friendly and the place rocks! I even tried fried pork skin :) Sorry, for the babble, just wanted to share my joy :)

Just for kicks ask them for a chimichanga or a chalupa and see what they offer in return.

Last edited:
There menu is real simple. Tacos - with your choice of various meat from top sirloin to tripe, tongue, brains; Gringos, Alambre (my fav) and grilled sandwiches. THe store part has a meat counter, bakery items and some of the best selection of spices, etc I have seen. Everything is very cheap too :) It is always busy. We actually have about 5 or 6 real Mexican stores and such around here, but this is the only one I have tried.

Next time your out the Southern Arizona way, I can send you to some of the best Authentic Mexican food you will ever eat.

There's a great family owned mexican restaurant named "El Camino Real" in Orange County, Cali. They have the best tacos, nachos, chips and everything else.

Last edited:
The variety's of Mexican food vary from Texas > New Mexico >Arizona > California the border states... even Northern NM food is different as it has the Spanish influence and Colorado Mexican food is way different ( akin to Northern NM) then you have Tex-Mex which is a critter of a different flavor entirely...

dfergie said:
OT... have you ever been to "La Posta" in Old Mesilla NM?

I have been to the Mesilla Valley Chile Company once, but I thought it was in Las Cruces which may have just been my ignorance in an unfamiliar town.

I drive through there (when I drive) when the winter weather forces the southern route through Tucson/El Paso to DFW, as opposed to the Flagstaff to I40 I usually drive (when I drive) so I can visit friends in the Albuquerque area en route to OK city then south the DFW. BUT again WHEN I drive; I usually fly everywhere.

Last edited:
"It is so much better than Taco Bell "

Anything is better than Taco Bell and Taco Bell is not Mexican food. :)

But you're right alambre is really good stuff and usually a pretty big plate. We have a Mexican store here in SoSF that has a restaurant inside, they make the best tacos that I ever tried. Really good food and it's always packed.

My favorite place right now is "Tacos San Pedro", on SW 44th in OKC. Clean, reasonable price, great food.

Those fried pork skins are called "chicharones". You can buy them in a bag like chips, with chile power seasoning.

The best Mexican food is always at a shop my wife calls a "gachado" (I think that loosely translates to "a dive". Don't hesitate to go into a place just because they don't have a national TV ad campaign. Look for the health department rating in the window first. If they have an "A", go on in. They'll be happy to see you, and you'll love the food.

The most distinction in the style and taste of food in the border area of Arizona and New Mexico is that Arizona is primarily Sonoran style and New Mexico is Chihuahuan style, both delicious but different preparation and taste. However, if you stop to eat in Lordsburg, NM you will find a blending of the two. In Arizona you will find that most enchiladas are served rolled, but in New Mexico they are most often served flat, with two or three tortillas and sometimes a cooked egg on top.:hungry:

Last edited:
That dish prep sounds a lot like Huevos Rancheros

I know my Mexican buddies I hang with here in AZ say USA Mexican food (aka Mexican-American food) is Antojitos Mexicanos and hails mainly from the most Northern regions, as that is where the vast majority of Mexican immigrants to the USA come from. Chihuahua, and Sonora as you mentioned are the most prevalent. SoCal gets some small Baja California Norte influences as well. Some of the Tex-Mex and South US influences also come from Coahuila and Nuevo Leon.

I could eat Mexican food everyday! I have enjoyed my many trips through Mexico and encourage any of you to take you time and money down there to visit our Southern neighbors. And that doesn't mean Cabo, Cancun, Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali, Juarez, or any of those on the boarder and resort-type places we Gringos have popularised.

Last edited:
Zaragosa is where we always went when I was younger for 100# sacks of flour and sugar... and that is my favorite way of eating / making enchiladas, flat 3 layers with 1 or 2 egg's on top... :D My sister in law make's mean green chile chicken enchiladas (rolled) ...

My wife & I stopped by a tiny Mexican store/restaurant for lunch one Sunday, when travelling on vacation. Guy in charge was amazed we wanted to eat there, more amazed when my wife asked for a certain Mexican soda by name. Loved the food. He "warned" us that it wouldn't be like Taco Bell, and we said that's why we were there. He catered to local workers and clearly was not used to "gringo" customers.

But visit Mexico? Hardly. Too many stories about highwaymen, and of women being raped by the police. No recourse. No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)