Realigning 61.5 to 118

Well, here's the latest. The installer guys did show up today--they came at 3 and left at 7. To his credit, the office manager called in advance to make sure he knew exactly why they were doing this particular job (Dish just gave them a work order without really explaining the rationale). Then he actually came over himself, bringing a couple of younger guys who had never done this particular kind of installation before.

It looks like they did install the extra LNB for 129, but they installed a DP34 switch (this after telling me they didn't have it for a month) instead of a DPP44, so there's a cable that goes nowhere at the moment. They were able to put the switch inside the house, though that came at the cost of having four cables snaking around the bottom of my house outside--not pretty, so I may have to plant some shrubs to hide it. (I've heard it's not the best idea to paint coax cable--agree?) In the end, they weren't able to point/peak 110, so they're supposed to come back tomorrow with a more sensitive meter. In the meantime, I don't have any locals or G4, but I do have Fox (distant), so hopefully I won't miss Terminator.

BTW, is there a list of what programming is broadcast from 110 vs. 119?

Well, here's the latest. The installer guys did show up today--they came at 3 and left at 7. To his credit, the office manager called in advance to make sure he knew exactly why they were doing this particular job (Dish just gave them a work order without really explaining the rationale). Then he actually came over himself, bringing a couple of younger guys who had never done this particular kind of installation before.

It looks like they did install the extra LNB for 129, but they installed a DP34 switch (this after telling me they didn't have it for a month) instead of a DPP44, so there's a cable that goes nowhere at the moment. They were able to put the switch inside the house, though that came at the cost of having four cables snaking around the bottom of my house outside--not pretty, so I may have to plant some shrubs to hide it. (I've heard it's not the best idea to paint coax cable--agree?) In the end, they weren't able to point/peak 110, so they're supposed to come back tomorrow with a more sensitive meter. In the meantime, I don't have any locals or G4, but I do have Fox (distant), so hopefully I won't miss Terminator.

BTW, is there a list of what programming is broadcast from 110 vs. 119?

Look in my signature for the link to TheList. Wow 4 hours and they couldn't get 110. 110 is blasting signal out...one of the strongest birds.

yeah, that is odd that they couldnt get the 110. If there are getting the 119 and 118 decent the 110 should just be there. I would bet the problem is something else

Wow, TheList is awesome! Permanently bookmarked, baby. Anyway, the problem was indeed something else. I mentioned that they added the cables for 129 even though I don't have it yet (they had paired cables, so it was easier that way). However, they mis-mapped it at the switch--they connected the cable for 129 instead of the one for 110! If I'd had any idea, I would have fixed it myself. It was a ten-minute job. A different lead installer came--sometimes you just need a new set of eyes, I guess. They also brought two more rookies--I've become the local training ground! :D

...So three and a half hours ago, I abruptly stopped getting a signal from all three satellites. Dish said there was nothing they could do and that they would send the tech on Saturday. I reminded them that it took a month for the tech to get here last time! If that happens again, I will strongly consider going back to cable. The loss of TV Japan for my wife would be a significant blow, but I need some degree of reliability--it's been less than a week since they hooked up my 500+ setup, and I haven't touched a thing. Would you say it's most likely a bad switch?

Your connections could have gone bad or the dish could have been blown of course, some of these installers deliberatly do a crappy job so they can do a return trip, based on what you have said about them and the company they sound like some real winners.

since your switch is indoors why not take a barrel bolt coupler and wire up each lnb to your receiver directly to see if you can still get any of the locations. I never did read if you mentioned that the installers took off with all your old lnbs on the dish500 and if they left your 61.5 dish in place for future/backup use.

Good idea on checking each connection directly--I've got some spare barrel connectors, so I can do that easily. They assured me that the dish was tightened down, and it hasn't been particularly windy the last couple of days, so I doubt that's the problem (although it would be a relatively easy fix). As for your other question, they just left me with the 500+ and took everything else away. Seeing as how it took them two days just to get everything working the first time, I guess I wasn't particularly inclined to argue with them about leaving me spare hardware. For now, if I can just get the current setup working again, I'll be satisfied. Well, that and getting some assurance that having pre-ordered a certain Xbox collector's edition game will ensure that I'll actually *receive* one. :D

Well, I tried connecting each LNB cable directly to the receiver cable without going through the switch, and I still didn't get a thing. Unless the dish itself really is out of alignment, I'm at a loss. I'm hoping to record some stuff that I will miss between now and Saturday at my brother's house, but their digital cable is pretty lousy. I can only get a couple of channels over the air with my converter box, because the local broadcast channels are also quite lousy. Dish has been a good solution, but it's fading fast... :(

Did you see if the dish was tight? Did they use your old pole to mount the 500plus? Did they install 2 struts for support?

They used all-new materials (including the support struts), but it turns out that there was a very loose bolt, so that's probably why it lost alignment. After fixing that issue, though, there was still no signal, so the tech also swapped out the switch, which fixed everything. So it would seem I actually had two problems! Another new tech came this morning, followed by the boss again--over the course of the past week, there were seven different installers over here. I guess being the training ground isn't such a good thing... :rolleyes: Anyway, we're up and running again, so that's the most important thing.

Here at the indy shop we were running out of 34switches because of all the migrations and the newer ul listed 34switch that does not need a ground block. We were out of 44 switches for the longest time

I have long subscribed to TV-J aimed at 148W and received the letter from DN. The scheduler stated it is an upgrade to a DN500+ w/DP34.

You can expand your wife's viewing choices if you have some elevation and space. NHK is FTA from IA9 58W on C-Band.

SCA, none of them were from Dish itself as far as I know. Just the installer that covers this area. Skibum, I don't want to get either one of us in trouble, so I'll just say that I'm not in Bozeman. :D (Actually, I'll be down there tomorrow to take care of a couple things, none involving satellites.)

Arrgh, it just won't end. Dish promised to adjust my billing for the three days I was completely without service, but of course they didn't. ceo@ just got another letter. :mad:

Dish replied (just an e-mail this time; no phone call) and said they'll credit me a full month. We'll see, but that would be more like it, especially considering the annual fee increase just rolled in. :up

I hope it does not take you longer than a month to get HD when you decide to order it. You might have to wait for the installer to come out and replace the 34 with a 44 for your HD. I do know they had shortages of equipment and we had to come up with some crazy setups.

I just dont understand how management is so clueless of whats really going on. I hope you get your credit. You deserve it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts