Status
Please reply by conversation.

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
I know I said I wasn't going to post for a little while, but...

There was a lot of really great live launch footage on IA6, all the way up to the point at which they separated the big external fuel tank (not the solid rocket boosters, after that) from the shuttle. It was really gripping.

They had a camera mounted to the external fuel tank and it was really impressive watching the shuttle roll, and then pull away from the tank, while seeing the earth in the background.

I tivo'd it off the CoolSat... I'll see if I can't convert to a web friendly version tonight. It was cool!

Shawn

The coverage was fantastic. I especially liked getting a look at what goes on behind the scenes at the networks.

Never even thought about FTA coverage... I was so busy worrying about HD-NET content that it never even entered my mind. *sigh*

I think this is a sign of putting my head between the reflector and LNB a little too often... :shh

Picture seems to be gone, feel free to repost without the risque' Avatar : )

I watched the coverage on 119w (NASA channel)...

I'd bet the wild feeds were even better though. The camera on the external tank was INCREDIBLE! I have to wonder why they haven't done this earlier in the shuttle program. Watching the launch pad, then the Florida coast, fall out of view as the shuttle ascended into orbit was awesome!

i watched this on HDNet and I have to say it was f**kin' incredible. It was hard to resist looking at the feeds and watching a full fledged "channel" but it was worth it.

Why you ask they didn't do the external fuel tank camera before??

Money!!!!! NASA was all about time and money. That's why they've had most of the disasters they've had in the past such as Columbia and Challenger. It's all about getting that baby up in the air as soon as possible because while that baby sits, it's costing them time and money. The more they can save, the better they look budgetary wise. They wouldn't have bought all those extra cameras to view multiple angles of the shuttle if it wasn't for their stupid mistakes. Just like they didn't want to go to the trouble of using that satellite to view Columbia's damage due to time and money. Not trying to rant and rave here but I'm pointing out the truth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)