Really liking the DirecTV Wireless client!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I use to use the RVU option for close to a year and it was painfully slow for my bedroom.
Today I got my client and it was setup in less than 30 minutes and its fast! Fast forwarding/rewinding/pausing now has no lag with the client, with the RVU it use to always lag.

I was skeptical about it and the performance, but obviously I was proven wrong.

We've also had a wireless Genie mini as a part of our setup for the better part of 6 months now with no issues. It seems to optimally operate throughout the house no matter where it's put.

The only downside that I found out on a recent call in to DirecTV for something unrelated was the fact that you cannot add any additional minis without re-upping your contract. I get the rationale for why DirecTV does this, but we're beginning to find reasons to get a second such client. Therefore we'll end up waiting for the next major upgrade before expanding.

Well usually if you are already locked in a contract then they wouldn't add more time to your contract as far as I know.
My contract expired this last weekend, called retention and they gave me bunch of discounts over the next 12 months and then free HR-44 upgrade from the HR-34 and also free Wireless Mini + Installation.

Unless something has changed any additional hardware added to an account will start the two year commitment over again. So yes adding a mini client, either wired or wireless, would start the clock all over again.

And yes I find they work just fine. I have three of them, all report connection speeds faster then 400Mbps and work as well as the wired clients they replaced.

So is the wireless faster than the wired one? My mini Genie wired is just painfully slow. It lags so bad. I hate using it.

So is the wireless faster than the wired one? My mini Genie wired is just painfully slow. It lags so bad. I hate using it.
My experience was it's very close to being the same. What really effected speed's I was was having a HR34 vs. the HR44, the HR44 as the server made it much better.

Have an HR-44 now and the mini is still painfully Laggy. Don't want to renew my contract by getting another DVR. Plan on ending my service in August.

Unless something has changed any additional hardware added to an account will start the two year commitment over again. So yes adding a mini client, either wired or wireless, would start the clock all over again.

And yes I find they work just fine. I have three of them, all report connection speeds faster then 400Mbps and work as well as the wired clients they replaced.

That's strange, If the commitment is two years, then they would not be able to legally add more months to the 2 years that you are locked on. They use to do it before, but last I checked that is not legal...

The installer told me once I get my HR44 I would be able to tell the difference on how much faster the HR44 is compared to the HR34 as far as navigating throughout the menus/channels/options....
They are going to fedex the box to me tomorrow, I will let you all know my thoughts on the HR44.

The installer told me once I get my HR44 I would be able to tell the difference on how much faster the HR44 is compared to the HR34 as far as navigating throughout the menus/channels/options....
They are going to fedex the box to me tomorrow, I will let you all know my thoughts on the HR44.
You will, the 44 is a very fast box. Unless something has changed it is even faster than the Hopper with sling that I currently have.

God dammit, DirecTV mailed me another HR34 instead of an HR44...called customer care today and they told me that there wasn't anything they could do...I get what I get...going to send back the box they sent and scheduled an appointment for a tech to come over...the HR34 lags/freezes and been dealing with that issue for a year now...hopefully he will have a brand new HR44 in his truck.

Sent back the box they sent...no reason for me to activate it and replace the existing HR34 with another HR34...

Tech came today, he said he would replace my current HR34 with the new HR44, no hassle, install took 40 minutes because the wireless client was not connecting to it. All set, the new HR44 is super fast, surprised how fast the guide is and no more lag!

Reactions: cinsu
Glad you finally got the upgrade. Seems most of the refurb HR34 come out of the shipping warehouse but sometimes the techs end up with them too.

DirecTV really needs to stop treating every receiver as the same. They seem to have stopped that on the HR line, at least accepting that giving someone a HR23 that had an HR24 doesn't fly with the customer. If my HR44 needed to be replaced and I received an HR34 I would be furious.

As for HR34 owners, they could even treat the HR44 as an upgrade if that's what the customer wanted.

Sadly, the current situation leaves the tech visit as the best option.

I have the Genie as well as 3 older DVR's. I've been wanting to get a Genie Mini client to replace one of the DVR's. Being how small they are, can it be mounted behind a wall mounted tv and have the remote still be functional?

Thanks. I just wasn't sure if the box had to be in direct line of site for the remote to work.

Directv is losing at least one potential customer( me) because of their refusal to honor the requests for the HR-44..I object to "you get what you get"......Dammit..If I order a product I expect to get that product. Not the stuff the company sends just because they want to clean out their warehouse.

Directv is losing at least one potential customer( me) because of their refusal to honor the requests for the HR-44..I object to "you get what you get"......Dammit..If I order a product I expect to get that product. Not the stuff the company sends just because they want to clean out their warehouse.

Do what I did, use a Bullsh!t excuse that your equipment is not working properly, tell them it lags and it freezes and so on...if you have the protection plan they will send a tech and if you ask them to replace it with a newer model receiver most of the times they will as long as they have on in the truck.

I don't understand that either. I know they think the 34 and 44 are the same thing but they're not as far as speed goes, the 44 is smaller. Tech I got was great. He said if he didn't have one and I really wanted one he'd track one down for me. However the manager of the sales rep on the phone said if I asked for an HR 44 then I'd get one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)