Really need full time hd RSN's

thechaz05

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 26, 2011
Irwin
I just spent 40 minutes on hold waiting for a supervisor to voice my displeasure about the penguin game not being in hd, only to be hung up on.

There are back to back events on root sports pittsburgh tonight, penguin game then pirate game. Rather than using the bandwidth to broadcast both, dish network chose to pick the pirate game for hd.

The game is also on nhl network, but of course it is blacked out, so we are stuck watching it in crappy sd.

To make it worse the agent I spoke with chose to make up information by trying to tell me that it is not in hd because root sports would not let dish broadcast it in hd. This is why I asked for a supervisor. I understand that she did not have the proper training or information.but do not insult my intelligence by making stuff up to get me off the phone. :mad: Now I need a :beer:....Bobby...;)

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
I don't see the need for a troll.........

Can't blame you thechaz05 it must be frustrating.....

Tampa and ice, thanks. ;)

I just hate when dish reps make stuff up or spout off nonsense that had nothing to do with the issue.

They were telling people to go to the nhl network knowing full well that it would be blacked out.

Anyway, I am over it. Pens won and I just hope next time they choose the right game for hd. :)

Dish has made it clear that HD RSNs are just not a priority for them. Until Dish finds a way to provide more capacity (like switching Western arc to MPEG4 or even 8PSK) they are going to scrimp on the RSN bandwidth.

More true now than ever. There have been a couple of times over the last year it appeared like Dish was making room for full time RSN's. It would appear not for awhile. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they could at least get all the games in HD.

Winning fixes everything..... :) Till they lose.

:D you got that right.

More true now than ever. There have been a couple of times over the last year it appeared like Dish was making room for full time RSN's. It would appear not for awhile. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they could at least get all the games in HD.

Yeah, I would be at least ok with that. Right now it is a pain in the keister if I want to record both the game and the post game since I have to record both channels. Up till last night though, every penguin game had been in hd. It just really made me and everyone else in this region angry that they Chose to broadcast the hockey game in sd and the baseball game in hd, then lied about why. There were even open hd alternates available they could have used.

Dish has made it clear that HD RSNs are just not a priority for them. Until Dish finds a way to provide more capacity (like switching Western arc to MPEG4 or even 8PSK) they are going to scrimp on the RSN bandwidth.

I wonder what the hold up is on that?

While it's past programming and I can't check, but, did you look at the RSN Alt HD channels? Those games that you don't see on the regular RSNs in HD are often on the Alt channels....

While it's past programming and I can't check, but, did you look at the RSN Alt HD channels? Those games that you don't see on the regular RSNs in HD are often on the Alt channels....

both games were on Root Pittsburgh....back to back

I wonder if Dish was able to provide HD this past Wednesday for FS North
Twins at 3
Wolves at 7
Wild at 9:30

back to back to back.
It seems stupid that they already have the HD feed available (in the case of Root Pittsburgh) why not show both games in HD? They were back to back (Pens at 6:00 Pirates at 9:00 Central)

Dish and DirectTV are under calendar pressure to provide ALL HD locals in DMA's where they provide at least one local in HD, until this is sorted out, I see no hope of HD RSN's going full time.

DirecTV is not using 2 arcs and already has full time HD RSN's, but in the case of Lubbock, Texas, DirecTV added the major locals in HD and now the also have to add 3 of 4 more that meet the criteria (OTA HD, full power station and not on a sub channel). Several carriers here have been adding new XX.1 channels on underpowered "full power" channels so that the satellite carriers would have to include them in their locals menu.

Dish is holding off on adding more HD locals in new DMA's because they have to use so much bandwidth to carry all the "B" grade HD locals that should not be mandatory, but the stations have met the criteria and now instead of having to carry 4-6 HD locals it becomes 10-12.

Once again the unintended consequences of silly government rules bites everyone in the butt.

Dish and DirectTV are under calendar pressure to provide ALL HD locals in DMA's where they provide at least one local in HD, until this is sorted out, I see no hope of HD RSN's going full time.
locals are on spotbeams....RSN's are CONUS. So its a irrelevant point.

both games were on Root Pittsburgh....back to back

It seems stupid that they already have the HD feed available (in the case of Root Pittsburgh) why not show both games in HD? They were back to back (Pens at 6:00 Pirates at 9:00 Central)

Exactly, really stupid thing to do and I hope it does not happen again.

Called root sports Pittsburgh this afternoon and they're response was all the programing from them is in HD. And also they had more then a few calls from dish customers today and that they will be in contact with dish about Friday's pens game not being in hd and first 45min of Saturday's pirate game not being in hd. They also informed me that dish has lied to root sports many times which doesn't surprise me. Now I do realize dish dont carry 7-24 RSN in hd which I have accepted but when they don't carry pens games in hd that is totally unacceptable in the year 2013 or any sporting event. I've been a dish customer for 17 years this past March the end of that may be coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts