Really weird issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
My relatives have Dish Network. They have a DPP 44 switch with 110/119 hooked up to two 322's. There once was a 311 hooked up as well (hence the reason for the DPP 44) but it hasn't been used since the TV it was attached to died about 8 months ago. However, we will be keeping the DPP 44 as they may upgrade to HD in the near future, and use the extra SD TV in another room with that 311.

Anyway...enough background information. This has happened twice. Once was sometime the past winter, the second time was last night. Last night, they had thunderstorms in the area, which may or may have not knocked out reception (they were not home at the time). They then lost power for about three hours (they got home about 10 minutes before it returned). They did not try watching TV until earlier this morning.

So they go and try to turn the TV/receiver on. The receiver was left on a local channel from the last time it was watched. It kept cycling through every transponder unable to lock on to a signal. So they tried the usual trick of changing to a channel on a different satellite/transponder, but got the same issue.

So they go into the other room, and try the other 322. Same issue. No matter what channel they try, it just cycles through "searching for satellite." Can't get a channel to show.

So first thing I think is something with the power outage screwed up the boxes. I have them do a front panel reset on one receiver, but nothing different happens. So then I explain to them how to get to check switch. Before doing so, the signal meter was showing fine levels (upper 70's) and locked onto the satellite. Anyway, I have them run a check switch on one receiver, and voila, after it runs, all channels are back. They only ran check switch on one 322.

So now, I'm thinking they'll have to run it on the other one. They go into the other room, and turn on the TV, and to my surprise, it works fine. No check switch was now required on this receiver. I couldn't figure it out.

Now, I was thinking back to the last time this happened. I wasn't available at the time, so they called Dish Network to find out what was wrong, and a CSR helped them fix it. Pretty much they had all channels out and they could not lock on to any channel. IIRC it started with the inability to get to local channels a few hours earlier, and they just assumed something was wrong on the other end, until all channels went out. This was on both receivers as well, and there were no power outages that day, and no inclement weather that I'm aware of.

So, CSR tells them to run check switch. They run check switch on only one receiver (it was the other one than we used today, if it's worth noting). After doing so, normal service returns on both receivers.

I don't quite understand how it's happening. Both receivers are apparently having issues receiving the channels properly (although the signal meter confirms they're still reading the LNB somehow). However, when check switch is run on just one receiver, both are fixed. Is this somehow sending a signal that resets the switch or something? I have no clue why this works the way it does.

I have very little knowledge about the actual internal workings of DPP44 switches or exactly how DiSEqC works, but I have heard that DPP44 switches that lose power for one reason or another do not always come back up working properly. Most of the time when it happens, unplugging the power inserter and plugging it back in will fix the issue. Perhaps you have found something else that gets it to start working properly as well. I would highly recommend that if you upgrade to HD, you just use the 1000.2 LNB instead of the DPP44 as it seems to be much more reliable. The 1000.2 has 3 DPPlus receiver outputs and 1 DP LNB input which sounds like it should work for the situation you are describing. Good Luck with everything.

That's not really viable as we're in the northeast, hence HD is on 61.5 not 129.

Never thought of unplugging the power inserter...check switch is actually easier because getting to the inserter is a pain.

First time it happened wasn't after a power outage though. Although I guess anything could trigger it to screw up...

That's not really viable as we're in the northeast, hence HD is on 61.5 not 129.

Although I would never do it at a customers house, I have seen a 1000.2 with 61.5. Run the 61.5 wire to the LNB In port on the 1000.2. Put tin foil over the 129 LNB while running check switch and your should get 119|110|X|61.5 You have to use the tin foil because if the receiver "sees" the 129 sat, it will try to get all channels available from both 129 & 61.5 from 129. If it fails 129 in the check switch it will go to 61.5 for HD.

Andrewwski

I have this issue every now and again. "Agonizing Fury" is correct about the solution. Unplugging the power inserter for 10 seconds and plugging it back in is the best way to cure this situation. The powered switches some time suffer a surge that scramble their little brains and some times even a check switch won't work because the switch reports back wrong info.

I know it can be a real PITA, but that is the best course of action.

BE SURE TO UNPLUG FROM THE WALL NOT FROM THE POWER INSERTER BOX ITSELF

See ya
Tony

The reason why it keeps on searching for transponders because during the power outage there might be a possibility that the powered switch doesnt have any power on it, alyou have to do is to unplug the whole power transformer(inserter) from the outlet just like TNGTony said, so that it will refresh the power input of the switch, that's the problem w/ a powered switch it needs a continous power source

I agree with the other postings, I find unplugging the power inserter on the DPPSW44 and then running check switch on all receivers fixes my issues.

To make absolutely sure you are fully resetting the DPP44, also unplug all receivers, so that there is no 18v power running to the switch even while the power inserter is disconnected. Otherwise, an internal capacitor in the DPP44 might still hold charge, rendering a reset an unsure solution.

Just use two 500 dishes instead. DPP Twin has the jumper port as well, and you can keep your tin foil for your chili. :)

Customer had 5 tuners at one point (322/322/311) and states they might go back to using the 311 again when they replace an SDTV with an HDTV and put the SDTV in to replace the 8 months dead TV.

Thanks everyone. I don't want to mess around with a 1000.2 that much...and I doubt there's a retailer within 200 miles that stocks them! Check switch has worked both times...and it's not a common occurance, but if in the future it doesn't work, I'll know what to do.

And yes, it looks like 5 tuners could be coming soon, so we'll stick with the DPP44.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts