Getting locals in HD this week - I have questions...

HotLZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Supposedly getting our locals in HD in Fargo, ND this week, according to the local Dish retailer. They are going to be on 61.5, so I will need an additional dish put up. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a charge for the additional dish or it's installation? Does it matter whether I go through the local guy or call dish to do it? The local guy set me up to begin with, FWIW.

2. I have a 1000.2 dish now, and signal strength for 129 is abysmal. Can I use the new dish to get the same programming off of 61.5 that I was getting from 129, and no longer use 129? I hope to do that and repoint the 1000.2 dish to maximize 110 and 119. Exposure for 61.5 should not be an issue.

3. I'm sure my installer will know, but what do I have to do to accomplish #2 above? Cover an LNB and do a check switch? If so, which one, and can it just be removed?

4. Do they have to run the line from the additional dish into my house, or can they combine it with the one that's already coming in outside somewhere. Any other hardware required?

Thanks much.

Supposedly getting our locals in HD in Fargo, ND this week, according to the local Dish retailer. They are going to be on 61.5, so I will need an additional dish put up. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a charge for the additional dish or it's installation? Does it matter whether I go through the local guy or call dish to do it? The local guy set me up to begin with, FWIW.

2. I have a 1000.2 dish now, and signal strength for 129 is abysmal. Can I use the new dish to get the same programming off of 61.5 that I was getting from 129, and no longer use 129? I hope to do that and repoint the 1000.2 dish to maximize 110 and 119. Exposure for 61.5 should not be an issue.

3. I'm sure my installer will know, but what do I have to do to accomplish #2 above? Cover an LNB and do a check switch? If so, which one, and can it just be removed?

4. Do they have to run the line from the additional dish into my house, or can they combine it with the one that's already coming in outside somewhere. Any other hardware required?

Thanks much.

You can't get 61.5 on the same dish for 110/119. You will need a separate dish. You should be able to get all the HD channels on 61.5 that you got on 129.

You will need to check with Dish on the additional charge. I believe they will install the 61.5 dish free since because your locals are on 61.5, but verify this with Dish.

Your coaxial leads should not change -- the dishes are joined by switches.

HD locals launched in my area a couple months ago on 61.5. I wasn't pointed at that location since I had a 1000.2. Dish's offer was to install a dish pointed at 61.5 for free if I agreed to a 2 year contract. I was only a few months into my original 2 year agreement so it was no big deal, pretty much just a 4 month extension to my existing agreement. If I didn't want to reup my agreement then it would have been a $59 charge for someone to come out and do the 61.5 install.

I suspect that you'll get a similar offer. I was registered on their website to get notified when HD locals were available. About 2 days after they launched in Milwaukee I got the email.

Note: I did try to call before the official launch date so I could get a better appointment date, but they wanted some amazing amount of money to get it setup before the official launch because the customer service reps knew nothing about a free HD local install deal.