Rear Projection TVs a thing of the past?

I don't think the DLP folks will join the trend unless TI stops manufacturing the chips or falls way behind in quality/price.

LCD/LCoS/plasma panels are sexy but I can't say 5" vs. 20" is that much of a difference.

Diogen.

DLP continues to be the technology of choice for most home front projectors and most commercial digital theaters. It is in it for awhile. I don't see Mitsubishi bowing out of RPTV unless the margins go to pot or Mitsubishi's flat panel business drastically improves.

RPTVs will continue to offer the most bang for the buck in the 60" and larger category. Yes, the big plasmas usually have better PQ (in a very dark room), but at prices that absurd in the current economy. Good DLPs have always been the best RPTV choice for those who don't see rainbows, but the new LED versions need some work to equal the PQ of their color wheel brethren. I think the DLPs will be around for how ever long it takes to get 71" plasmas and LCDs to under $3K.

RPTVs will continue to offer the most bang for the buck in the 60" and larger category. Yes, the big plasmas usually have better PQ (in a very dark room), but at prices that absurd in the current economy. Good DLPs have always been the best RPTV choice for those who don't see rainbows, but the new LED versions need some work to equal the PQ of their color wheel brethren. I think the DLPs will be around for how ever long it takes to get 71" plasmas and LCDs to under $3K.

I thought so too, but I went into BB last night and looked. They had 4 RPTVs, all DLP and 60ish flat panels on display. Looks like BB has declared the RPTV dead, as this looks exactly like the situation we saw a 18 months ago with CRT RPTVs. As an aside, I couldn't even find a display of small CRT sets.

I agree, I don't think DLP is dead. There sure are a lot of ads on TV, have several friends and relatives that have bought them recently, I'm getting ready to buy a 73" Mitsu. Just can't beat the picture and size for the price.:hungry:

I thought so too, but I went into BB last night and looked. They had 4 RPTVs, all DLP and 60ish flat panels on display. Looks like BB has declared the RPTV dead, as this looks exactly like the situation we saw a 18 months ago with CRT RPTVs. As an aside, I couldn't even find a display of small CRT sets.

Margins... I bet the margins on LCD's and plasmas are higher. Moreover, flat panels take up a LOT less floor space. Retailers are interested in their own bottom lines not offering what's best for the consumer.

DLP is at least putting up a fight by sponsoring the BCS, buying online banner ad space, etc. That "It's the mirrors" slogan has to go, though. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to decide which tv to get for gaming. ( Xbox 360 and Wii ) I've narrowed my decision down to a Samsung 1080P 46" lcd and an Samsung 50" 1080p LED DLP. I'm leaning towards the dlp. Space is not an issue and from all the research I've done, dlp will be the better choice for me.

It doesn't look like DLP is going away any time soon...
DLP(R) Products Demonstrates HDTV With Enhanced Brightness That Exceeds Plasma
...DLP technology has now doubled the brightness of previous LED models and reached levels that exceed that of the competing full HD plasma.

...The brightness increases were achieved through optimization of the DLP chip inside HDTVs that controls the light mixing needed to display
the brightest image with the largest color spectrum and highest contrast ratio of 500,000 to 1.

Diogen.

I certainly hope RPTVs last for at least another 5 years or so. I eventually want to move from my 61" to a 70" and hopefully the next one will be LCoS also. Max bang for the buck. Or maybe a rainbow-less DLP with no moving parts other than a fan (& micro-mirrors). I expect all other technologies to be prohibitive for me in that size range for the next few years.

Maybe in 10 years OLED will be cheap.

Mitsubitsi was showing a laser rear projection, but it is not supposed to be out until near the end of the year. I goes up to 65" I believe and 10" thick (er thin).

Samsung just announced a 67" DLP with LED illumination (no color wheel) and ultra slim case. It has equal or better PQ than plasma and cost half as much.

Just had to chime in myself. Bought a Samsung Dlp rp 46" 3 months ago and love it. It replaced a westinghouse lcd 30". I love the picture on the dlp. Nice bright colors and blacks are amazing. Best color ive seen on a hdtv. Just havent been impressed with the colors on lcd's, save for the toshiba regza line. Bying a backup bulb when i get taxes back just to be safe. We DO have the tv on 10 hours a day normally.

You're concerned that you might have to replace a vaguely $200 bulb that will restore your TV to like new condition, but aren't fazed by spending $1500 on a set that might be developing other problems (convergence, etc)?
There are no convergence issues with non-CRT RPTVs as everything is done optically (as opposed to electromagnetically). Conventional DLP in particular has only a single light source and a single mirror array.

The post I was referring to was talking about CRT tubes:

The main turnoff for me against the DLPs and other rear projection types is the necessity to replace a light bulb after 5,000 hours,now the Samsungs have a DLP with LED light engine rated at 20,000 hours.But until the prices drop on the LCD and plasma flat panels there will definately be a market for the 50" to 70" DLP HDRPTVs.I have a 7 year old 50" RPTV and I still can't get excited yet about replacing it.I've been quoted $1500.00 to replace the 3 CRT tubes if and when they go out.So until the prices for the new ones drop down in that price range I'll probably just repair and keep it going.:)

I've been trying to decide which tv to get for gaming. ( Xbox 360 and Wii ) I've narrowed my decision down to a Samsung 1080P 46" lcd and an Samsung 50" 1080p LED DLP. I'm leaning towards the dlp. Space is not an issue and from all the research I've done, dlp will be the better choice for me.
The issue with LCD is the same as it used to be with computer monitors: sluggishness. Take a look at a recent ad for an LCD computer monitor and you'll see mention of "Pixel Response Time". Most better computer displays are on the order of 2-14 milliseconds gray-to-gray. Contrast is another area where LCD commonly lacks.

DLP runs fast enough that its inability to produce grays is compensated for by pulsing white.

What the heck. The more you spend, the better you feel having spoiled your favorite child (the inner child).

I certainly hope RPTVs last for at least another 5 years or so. I eventually want to move from my 61" to a 70" and hopefully the next one will be LCoS also. Max bang for the buck. Or maybe a rainbow-less DLP with no moving parts other than a fan (& micro-mirrors). I expect all other technologies to be prohibitive for me in that size range for the next few years.

Maybe in 10 years OLED will be cheap.

There are LED powered RP DLP tvs out right now. No rainbow and the color is even better than before.

I don't shop for television much, but the best picture I've seen to date was on a 65" Mitsubishi DLP RPHDTV.

But who am I to talk? I still love the picture on my 55" Marantz RP SDTV. XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)