Reasons NOT to Jump Ship

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ENUFF

Fee for bathroom EXCELLENT! a couple bucks per use?

soon they will charge for which you really need on long flights since the air is so dry it dehydrates you....

Providers would love remotes keyed permanetely to the receiver, 5 buck a month fee...

AEP is only 99 bucks per month, but add all the extra fees your monthly bill is now 210 bucks, charlie you fall asleep counting $$$ .........

Enuff already this is reasons not to leave. You've had enuff say in why to leave. Stop trying to ruin this thread w/ what you've said a thousand times.

I have had DISH going on 14 years come January 17 of 2011. Over all the price is lower than cable or DIRECTV( home of the evil empire;)). I have had all the different dvrs going back to the original webtv/dishplayers in 99. I have suffered through just about every technical/software related bug that there is with all the different dvrs, including the new 922. I have had to adjust my programming options and my different additional receivers to avoid the every changing ,ever growing in number "just because we can" fees. Inconveinent and yes, I do not agree with the direction that DISH has taken with all these fees.

The one thing that has made me stay with DISH over any other provider has been THIS website. IF it hadn't been for satguys, I wouldn't of known about the hd+plat pack for $10.00 that lead me to FREE HD for life when they changed their promo last June. I wouldn't of known about the various credits you could get from DISH. The $5.00 credit for keeping your phone line plugged in , that has sadly since been done away with .

Over the last 7 years that I have been with satguys as a member I have learned a whole lot, including how to install my own sat dish. I have installed dishes at all my family members homes . I have learned about "moving" which has given me and my family, access to HD locals way before we were able to get them in our home town area. I learned about distant networks through AAD that gave me an mine more options. I learned about eastern arc and got to install my own eastern arc dish 2 years ago before many even knew about it.

Yes, I like DISH and have tried both cable and DIRECTV and no other option has been as good as DISH in my eyes. The price is lower and you have many different options as far as receivers and external hard drive archiving , though the 922 still lacks this feature. But the only thing that has made my experience with DISH a good one, is the inside track I get from Scott and this website in the way of rumors and behind the scene information that only this site and it's members can provide.
So I won't be going anywhere anytime soon . I hope to have DISH and be a member at satguys for many years to come.
Well said, Mike. :up

Enuff already this is reasons not to leave. You've had enuff say in why to leave. Stop trying to ruin this thread w/ what you've said a thousand times.

one of the bobs highjacking another thread. Surprised? Anyone...Anyone...yeah didn't think so...:rolleyes:

After 3 years with DirecTV I came back to Dish network.Being a SD subscriber I wanted more and that's what Dish has,more SD Premium Movie Channels and The Hallmark Movie Channel in SD.:)

After being a willing participant in NDS DVR hell with DirecTV,I chose Dish's 625 DVR.Needless to say I have been pleasantly surprised with the 625's 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers,plus you don't have to always activate it.In fact it's alittle boring because everything just works,even the Caller ID is consistent.It's like I have come home.:)

After 3 years with DirecTV I came back to Dish network.Being a SD subscriber I wanted more and that's what Dish has,more SD Premium Movie Channels and The Hallmark Movie Channel in SD.:)

After being a willing participant in NDS DVR hell with DirecTV,I chose Dish's 625 DVR.Needless to say I have been pleasantly surprised with the 625's 2 hour pause and 2-120 minute live buffers,plus you don't have to always activate it.In fact it's alittle boring because everything just works,even the Caller ID is consistent.It's like I have come home.:)

the 522 and 625 receivers had the most stable operation of any E receiver I ever had...

the 722ks werent nearly as stable

How would you know

the 522 and 625 receivers had the most stable operation of any E receiver I ever had...

the 722ks werent nearly as stable

Mine has been pretty damn stable you didn't have one so how would you know. Do not even say it is because of what you read here. The majority of people that come here are looking to solve problems so it is representative of the quality over all.

Well said, Mike. :up

Thanks . It is really how I fell. DISH has become more than a tv provider to me, since I joined this site. It is my favorite hobby and I love learning about and using all the cutting edge technology that DISH comes out with. I can't imagine going without either DISH or the satguys website.

My reasons NOT to leave:

1. Dish HD Absolute - $29.99/mo.
2. Dish Vip 722k no problems - $6 DVR fee
3. 3 X Vip 211 all with EHD no problems - $21.00
4. My monthly bill with state tax is $61.02

I agree with that. Go find a comcrap forum and talk about how much you love it. We know that you hate Dish's equipment fee's and are happy with comcrap.

While not exactly directly on topic, but still the same idea:

Reasons I jumped ship from Direct to Dish:

1) After being a customer of Dtv for over 10 years, I wanted new equipment and HD. (this was 2 months ago). They offered me $5 off my bill for 3 months, no HD for life (I would have to pay after a year), and the equipment was incompatible with my home setup (I have a coax setup to some non HD tv's, Direct did not have coax connections (I know, I could get stuff to make it work, my point is why?)
2) I had the most expensive package (sans HD) for 10 years, but yet they never let me know about upgrades. I had a single LNB for all that time (and installed by me, my own equipment). Only when their channel detail of what, when, where wasn't working did they finally get in touch and "offer" new equipment (that wasn't acceptable to me).
3) The treatment by them when I wanted to upgrade was a clear pitch to make much money for them, no interest in a loyal customer.
4) In fairness, the service was adequate and no complaints until I wanted to upgrade.
5) My bill went down about $50 a month (of course, it is due to incentives) with MORE movie channels plus HD. I am not a heavy sport fanatic, so I didn't care about not having their expensive "payforview" football/basketball/stuff.
6) Love Epix.
7) Love Dish Earth. Many people think its a novelty, I am always in awe that we can look at ourselves from space.
8) New equipment for "free" including DVD!
9) Minor hassles did occur in trying to find 129, but the installer did an outstanding job.
10) Superior video quality in even my non HD tv.
11) like the "on demand" feature (even if it is on the receiver hard drive)
12) like the expansion (haven't done it yet) up to 1 TB for the DVD hard drive.
13) Minor boo boo fixed quickly by respectful customer care (at least my limited experience), no pressure sales.
14) Nice benefit of a few free pay for views via coupons (never got it this simple with the other place, had to buy and then later hope to redeem stuff)
15) Seems to me to have more pay for view movies.
16) IMHO, a better web site that actually is useful and not just promoting stuff. I do wish they had an "app" for my phone, however, like dtv did have.
17) Did I say price? The savings paid for my new HDTV over 2 years, plus I got new equipment!

Well, since I now have said how wonderful they are, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if my system crashed now! :)

Sirius XM!
I like those channels a lot more than D*'s SonicTap channels.
In addition, E* seems to offer a lot more Sirius XM channels than D* did along with even more audio channels from Muzak.

Why doesn't E* do Sirius XM for Business like D* did? I have heard the SonicTap channels at businesses. I wonder if they notice the difference. :D

I also forgot to mention that I can watch the HD channels throughout the house even on TV2s. With D*, the HD channels can only be seen on the HD receiver meaning no HD channels can be watched on all of those extra SD receivers.

I also forgot to mention that I can watch the HD channels throughout the house even on TV2s. With D*, the HD channels can only be seen on the HD receiver meaning no HD channels can be watched on all of those extra SD receivers.
Really?

Honestly most of my dealings have been with Southern Star Inc, which is an installer in our area. When I need programming changes I've gone through Dish, or this last time I did it online, but for any hardware problems I call SSI which is super customer support. They installed our system at the old house and our new house, and the installers are super and fast.

As for Dish CSR themselves, each time I've called I've gotten someone overseas who hasn't been much help. Heck when we got our HDTV about 3 years ago and I called to order our VIP722 plus HD programming, the lady completely botched the job ordering us some international programming package instead. Luckily I kept pressing her because the numbers just weren't adding up, but when SSI came out to install our new receiver they were great to verify everything was working as it should.

So through Dish directly the kudos I can give are their channel options and price since I'm paying about the same as I'd be spending on Time Warner (the only cable provider in our area), but I'm getting MANY more channels plus the DVR is 100x better than what TW offers. I have used their Chat a few times which is nice, and I like the new site. I also love the idea of DishOnline, and I can't wait to get access to some of that content via the DVR once my VIP722 is updated. Also the thought of GoogleTV and Dish together is something I'm really looking forward to. If they can pull that off, they'll completely pull ahead of the competition.

One other thing I've noticed is they're constantly updating their DVR systems with firmware updates every few months. TW did their first major firmware update in years just a few months ago, but even then the DVR menu still has a "Record to VCR" option which seems way outdated. Dish seems to keep-up with the times, and like adding the Wireless support through USB, EHD support, etc. I don't know how often DirecTV updates their hardware, but I've been VERY happy with our VIP722 over the last few years.

Plus they're always trying new things... like the Dish Earth channel is amazing!

Sam

Why not jump from Dish to DirecTV. Biggest reason for me is that I have 1.5TB EHD and Dish uses a USB port and DirecTV uses eSATA. Not only would I have to buy a new EHD but I have over 1TB already stored. That actually is my biggest reason for staying.

And with D* the EHD is NOT interchangeable between units

While not exactly directly on topic, but still the same idea:

Reasons I jumped ship from Direct to Dish:

1) After being a customer of Dtv for over 10 years, I wanted new equipment and HD. (this was 2 months ago). They offered me $5 off my bill for 3 months, no HD for life (I would have to pay after a year), and the equipment was incompatible with my home setup (I have a coax setup to some non HD tv's, Direct did not have coax connections (I know, I could get stuff to make it work, my point is why?)
2) I had the most expensive package (sans HD) for 10 years, but yet they never let me know about upgrades. I had a single LNB for all that time (and installed by me, my own equipment). Only when their channel detail of what, when, where wasn't working did they finally get in touch and "offer" new equipment (that wasn't acceptable to me).
3) The treatment by them when I wanted to upgrade was a clear pitch to make much money for them, no interest in a loyal customer.
4) In fairness, the service was adequate and no complaints until I wanted to upgrade.
5) My bill went down about $50 a month (of course, it is due to incentives) with MORE movie channels plus HD. I am not a heavy sport fanatic, so I didn't care about not having their expensive "payforview" football/basketball/stuff.
6) Love Epix.
7) Love Dish Earth. Many people think its a novelty, I am always in awe that we can look at ourselves from space.
8) New equipment for "free" including DVD!
9) Minor hassles did occur in trying to find 129, but the installer did an outstanding job.
10) Superior video quality in even my non HD tv.
11) like the "on demand" feature (even if it is on the receiver hard drive)
12) like the expansion (haven't done it yet) up to 1 TB for the DVD hard drive.
13) Minor boo boo fixed quickly by respectful customer care (at least my limited experience), no pressure sales.
14) Nice benefit of a few free pay for views via coupons (never got it this simple with the other place, had to buy and then later hope to redeem stuff)
15) Seems to me to have more pay for view movies.
16) IMHO, a better web site that actually is useful and not just promoting stuff. I do wish they had an "app" for my phone, however, like dtv did have.
17) Did I say price? The savings paid for my new HDTV over 2 years, plus I got new equipment!

Well, since I now have said how wonderful they are, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if my system crashed now! :)

I'm going to jump on his/her bandwagon again. I was with D* for 14 yrs and when I called about what I was paying the 1st CSR said I could drop some of my programming to lower my bill. WOW! But in all fairness she was willing to give me free HD for a WHOLE year, and if I'd agree to a 24 moth contract she'd was willing to send me a refurb'd HR20 to replace my H20.

After I had Dish installed and called to cancel the CSR I got was willing to make all kinds on concessions but still too little too late. Who knows maybe in 2 years I'll be heading back to D*. Right now don't expect that to happen as I'm pleased with what I have now. $56/mth savings * 24 =$1344 less money for more features. Happy camper here!

Polish Poet, you had exactly the same thing happen to you as they (Directv) did to me. Amazing how they (Directv) love you when you call to cancel. But at the same time, they then act like you are an idiot on some things and cross examine you about stuff, etc etc. Anyway, good riddance to the other side. BTW, I am a dude. :) (hate gender neutral names such as Taylor )

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)