Reasons NOT to Jump Ship

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The main reason I switched from Directv......
4) Outdoor Channel in the 250 package. $3 additional on D*
5) Encore and Movie Channel in 250 package--Not a big movie fan but it's enough to get by on and save money on Premiums. Also with additions of EPIX I'm set.
6) TV in 4 rooms with only 2 boxes is awesome. ( yes I know D* has that now)
8) CSR CHAT is absolutely awesome too. I hate talking on the phone.

I also switched from D* to E* for reason numbers 4 and 5. I complained about number 5 for quite some time; it looks like D* finally listened about the Encores and Movie Channel. In addition, I did not know number 6 is now true for D*......seriously..........how much do they charge for a "Duo-type" box? In addition, I love 8 with E*. I talked one time only to a D* CSR online, but D* mainly wants to talk only to those who are about to sign up online.

to debunk your hard drive size thing with Dish, with Directv you can put a 2TB hard drive in your DVR for free (besides buying the drive) and store 400 hours of HD.

to debunk your hard drive size thing with Dish, with Directv you can put a 2TB hard drive in your DVR for free (besides buying the drive) and store 400 hours of HD.

Except that with D* you are replacing the internal drive with the external, and if you later have a problem with the hddvr, you lose all your recordings. Neither of those are the case with e* equipment.

Three words, Executive Response Team. The solution to CSR roulette and the main reason I've remained a customer over the years.

no I meant put a internal 2TB drive IN your HR22,23,24. And keep it internal thus avoiding a extra thing to plug in and extra fee.
How much is a 2 TB upgrade on a D* receiver? $300??

Never mind I found it. Its $400:rolleyes:

HR20, HR21, HR21 Pro, HR22, HR23 and HR24 DirecTV HD DVR Upgrades

Also anytime you Open up a D* leased receiver your breaking the lease rules.
Weaknees is the only company I saw thats aloud to upgrade these and still remain in compliance with D* regulations.

E* upgrade is a 1 time fee of $40 and can be used between all your VIP DVRS.

Less then $200 a 2 TB can be had.

Last edited:
Technically you could replace the drive in the E* DVRs also, with the same caveat with leased receivers.

But the internal HD on both isn't moveable to another DVR and keep the data intact and viewable. IMO, the E* way of adding an external is an overall better method because it is tied to the account and not the receiver.

Dish only way for me to get Redzone channel without paying $300 for Sunday ticket. I just did a little shopping around, and decided to resign a 2year with dish, and took the free HD for life promo. The redzone channel is good enough for me, (don't want to pay $300 for ST) and with the $10 off my bill, the price can't be beat.

Frankly, there's only one reason for me to stay with Dish: I'm happy with the service - always have been.

It has always been about the service for me. I've been with Dish for 11 years and even though there have been times when not everything has gone as smoothly as I would have liked (i.e. the Distant Network fiasco a few years ago to name one) - overall I couldn't be happier.

For example, in June I wanted to upgrade my old 508 to a 625. They said, no problem and came and installed a 625 for free (I did sign up for the Service plan.) Then two months later I call and say I want to get that 625 swapped out for an HD DVR as I was going to get an HD TV. They said no problem, and told me the service call would be a nominal $15 and set up a date.

Well, after doing some reading I decided that I wanted my other receiver also upgraded to MPEG-4 and that I wanted to make sure I got ALL the HD channels (as there are some issues in my locale.) So I called, asked them if while the tech was here he could swap out my other receiver and make sure that I can get every HD channel I am paying for...

They said no problem, and that was that.

(The only real cost is that I keep renewing my 24 month agreement, but being I have been with them for so long, it really isn't a big deal to me.)

Every time I have needed something they have provided it hassle free and for that I am thankful and plan to stick with them for many years to come.

I have had DISH going on 14 years come January 17 of 2011. Over all the price is lower than cable or DIRECTV( home of the evil empire;)). I have had all the different dvrs going back to the original webtv/dishplayers in 99. I have suffered through just about every technical/software related bug that there is with all the different dvrs, including the new 922. I have had to adjust my programming options and my different additional receivers to avoid the every changing ,ever growing in number "just because we can" fees. Inconveinent and yes, I do not agree with the direction that DISH has taken with all these fees.

The one thing that has made me stay with DISH over any other provider has been THIS website. IF it hadn't been for satguys, I wouldn't of known about the hd+plat pack for $10.00 that lead me to FREE HD for life when they changed their promo last June. I wouldn't of known about the various credits you could get from DISH. The $5.00 credit for keeping your phone line plugged in , that has sadly since been done away with .

Over the last 7 years that I have been with satguys as a member I have learned a whole lot, including how to install my own sat dish. I have installed dishes at all my family members homes . I have learned about "moving" which has given me and my family, access to HD locals way before we were able to get them in our home town area. I learned about distant networks through AAD that gave me an mine more options. I learned about eastern arc and got to install my own eastern arc dish 2 years ago before many even knew about it.

Yes, I like DISH and have tried both cable and DIRECTV and no other option has been as good as DISH in my eyes. The price is lower and you have many different options as far as receivers and external hard drive archiving , though the 922 still lacks this feature. But the only thing that has made my experience with DISH a good one, is the inside track I get from Scott and this website in the way of rumors and behind the scene information that only this site and it's members can provide.
So I won't be going anywhere anytime soon . I hope to have DISH and be a member at satguys for many years to come.

Long term if the vast majority of subs accept the 17 buck per receiver extra receiver fee, E will likely raise it futher, and other providers like D and cable will join the fee bandwagon.

today were seeing that in the airline industry, fees for luggage even carry on and every bag, fee for pillows and blanket, heck there must be more things they can fee....

everyone has a choice vote with your feet err wallet or smile when fees exceed the package price.......

Wolf

Long term if the vast majority of subs accept the 17 buck per receiver extra receiver fee, E will likely raise it futher, and other providers like D and cable will join the fee bandwagon.

today were seeing that in the airline industry, fees for luggage even carry on and every bag, fee for pillows and blanket, heck there must be more things they can fee....

everyone has a choice vote with your feet err wallet or smile when fees exceed the package price.......

Still crying wolf and here I thought you were so happy w/ comcrap.

I'm afraid you are 100% correct. Wouldn't it be refreshing to see someone offer more for less? I only have the 722 and I have a second TV hooked up strictly via antenna. Many nights I record three shows at the same time on the 722 and end up watching something else, like sports on the OTA TV. I would not take kindly to having to pay $17 for a second DVR. Makes you wonder, what next?

Makes you wonder, what next?

well according to another post if you move (whether legit or "move") with Dish they charge you $5

I said a awhile back Charlie is going to create a remote that will only work with batteries Dish has...they'll be some oddball thing like they'll be like a AA battery but shorter and nobody will carry them except Dish ;)

well according to another post if you move (whether legit or "move") with Dish they charge you $5

I said a awhile back Charlie is going to create a remote that will only work with batteries Dish has...they'll be some oddball thing like they'll be like a AA battery but shorter and nobody will carry them except Dish ;)

Well I have a Harmony 880 and I just found out that you have to buy your batteries from Harmony because over the counter batteries will NOT recharge.

Well one thing that the airlines don't charge for is bathroom use. Just give them some time to think about it to see how much money they will make.

Fee for bathroom EXCELLENT! a couple bucks per use?

soon they will charge for water which you really need on long flights since the air is so dry it dehydrates you....

Providers would love remotes keyed permanetely to the receiver, 5 buck a month fee...

AEP is only 99 bucks per month, but add all the extra fees your monthly bill is now 210 bucks, charlie you fall asleep counting $$$ .........

Last edited:
My best reason to stay with Dish is still the same reason I switched to them from DirecTV a year ago. The DishLatino MAX package with FSC HD/TMC/TMCxtra/Playboy included plus RAItalia for 9.99/mo.

Now with free HD for life it's an even better deal.

It all depends on the programming you like and that's different for everybody. For me, Dish is the currently the only provider that can offer all of the channels we want and luckily they also happen to be for the lowest price. It's a perfect fit for our needs. The Latino Max package has to be the best bang for your buck out there IMO.

I also have to say the vip DVRs blow away my old HR20. The best part of these things, which is rarely mentioned, is the ability to have separate aspect ratio settings for your SD output and HD output so you can share the same tuner with your HDTV and your old SDTV's without having "scrunchovision" on the HD channels viewed on old 4:3 tv's. The HR20 blew chunks in that respect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts