Rebooting Problems with 411/211/211k Receivers? Please Respond Here

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Guys we got this in from Dish Network, if you are having rebooting problems with the 411/211/211k receivers, this is from them wanting your help.
we are starting to see many posts about rebooting on OTA or SAT channel w/ or w/o EHD. I was wondering if I can get some info from this members so we can track down the issue and get a fix in place.

, this is from their platform managers...

I need :

1. Receiver model / R00#
2. Hardware ID
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters
4. Steps to duplicate
5. How long issue has been going on.
6. If EHD is connected or not.

Thank you.

Guys we got this in from Dish Network, if you are having rebooting problems with the 411/211/211k receivers, this is from them wanting your help.

1. Receiver model / R00#
2 receivers VIP211 R0074678962-64
VIP211 R0074898579-92
2. Hardware ID
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters NA for my problem and totally independent on what channel the receivers were tuned to at the time of failure.

4. Steps to duplicate

Watching any programs recorded on the external harddrive prior to the latest software (L524) download. I moved the EHD from one 211 to the other 211 and failure occurred on both.
Symptoms were, watching any recorded program it would play for awhile and then would start to break up, pixilate on and off and within a few minutes would reboot.

I recorded a new program and it played all the way through.

Since 524 downloaded.

6. If EHD is connected or not. YES

1. Receiver model / R00 75283944-47 VIP211
2. Hardware ID RAGD-N
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters Happens on all channels.
4. Steps to duplicate: Just recently added USB drive capabilites and have recorded multiple programs without any problems. Crashes/reboots only happen when playing back any recorded programs. They play flawlessly for about 6 minuets and then black screen/reboot. I can fast forward past the reboot location but then will reboot again in another 6 minutes. It also happens when I pause a live program and watch it delayed. Here again, reboot after about 6 minutes if I don't go to live mode. Have tried several differnt types of USB drives. Doesn't make a difference.
5. How long issue has been going on. Since I activated the USB drive a few weeks ago.
6. If EHD is connected or not. Only happens when EHD is connected.

Steve

1. Receiver model / VIP211-HD
2. Hardware ID R0080816796-12 Software: L524RAGB-N
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters Happens on all channels.
4. Steps to duplicate: Happens with Live TV and recorded shows. First remote quits responding and then it reboots. After done rebooting, remote still won't respond so I have to hold power button for 5 seconds and let it boot again.
5. How long issue has been going on. Happens once per day now since getting L524.
6. If EHD is connected or not. Only happens when EHD is connected.

1.Reciever: VIP211K
2.Software: L455

3.Problem Channels- WUTV ( FOX29 Buffalo) 29.1 - Unit Locks up and Requires constant rebooting.

WNYO (Mytv Buffalo) 49.1- Unit will lock up, Sometimes Show no siginal ( though my tv tuner shows the signal fine if i plug the cable into there) and also Causes Green Screen forcing A Manual Reboot.

4.On both channels this Happens every time i tune in. Usually between 2-5 minutes max for this problem to occur.

5.The problem has been happening since the L455 Update as far as i know. I only had gotten the unit a week before the update, but im pretty confident it never did this before.

6. Yes the External hard drive is Connected. WD 750GB Mybook

1. Receiver model / R00# 211 R0074677035
2. Hardware ID
L524RAGD-N
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters
Louisville 3.1 WAVE
4. Steps to duplicate
Happened only once. For about an hour on 3/11 in the morning constant rebooting while watching WAVE OTA and from the sat.
One time occurance
6. If EHD is connected or not.
No EHD

1. ViP211 HD/R0075813862-74
2. L524RAGD-N
3. Orlando, FL OTA channels
4. Steps to duplicate Tune into an OTA channel and wait a few minutes for the first reboot, then it never ends
5. Almost a month now
6. No

1. vip 211k/R00 9167 9756-73
2. L455 software
3. Louisville OTA channels, specifically channel 32, WLKY, other locals seem ok.
4. It's been getting worse as in once it starts rebooting, it now doesn't stop. The picture seems to reset over and over, then the reboot starts. Impossible to watch the ball games this weekend. This did not happen when I first activated the receiver and EHD. The DVR has been quirky lately in playback mode, freezing up, then snapping back to life.
5. EHd on

Last edited:
Ok, tonight the 211k has taken a turn for the worst. It is now stuck on the OTA CBS affiliate after rebooting. Which will repeat. Does not respond to front panel buttons, does not respond to the remote control at all. What a PAIN. If you interrupt the reboot and go to the dvr, you can watch recordings, but that is it. I'll call tech support tomorrow.

Update, it's stuck on the local subchannel, which shows nothing if the ball games are not playing.

Update, fortunately the menu button has limited function while the receiver is rebooting (only while scanning for sat transponders). I reset to factory defaults, wiping clean the OTA channels and the receiver started working again. Of course I couldn't resist, rescanned locals, scrolled through the guide, and the receiver locked up at the CBS subchannel once again. So:

OTA channel.......032-01 Watch it long enough and the constant reboot routine starts up. I can record and watch shows ok on this channel without the reboot routine.
OTA channel.......032-02 Tune to it and the receiver locks up, no front panel response, no remote response.

FWIW, the TV tuner will allow watching both channels, which is great for the basketball games, but even that tuners seems to reaquire the signal occasionally.

Last edited:
I have 2 211k's which both show the problem when watching certain OTA channels:

First Receiver
1. Receiver model / R00#: 211k R0085052265-70
2. Hardware ID
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters: I've noticed it on two OTA channels:
25-1 WFXT-DT which is broadcasting at low power and has a signal strength around 65-70 and often shows macro blocking and dropouts. This one
usually causes a lockup/reboot after watching for several minutes.
66-1 WUTF-DT which has a signal strength around 72 and causes an almost immediate lockup​
4. Steps to duplicate: See # 3 above.
5. How long issue has been going on: I first noticed it after the L455 update, but I only had been a customer for a week or so before that, so I might have missed it
earlier.
6. If EHD is connected or not: Yes

Second Receiver
1. Receiver model / R00# 211k / R0091698684-06
2. Hardware ID
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters: See first receiver above
4. Steps to duplicate: See first receiver above
5. How long issue has been going on: See first receiver above
6. If EHD is connected or not: No

Thank you for the Responses

Thank you for all your post. We have a beta SW out right now that seems to fix this issue. We needed the R00/S00 to look up that accounts to see if issue in certain areas only.....keep the post coming if others still having issues!! Thank you again. No ETA for production release.

VIP 211-HD
Software L524
R007564XXXX-XX
Seagate FreeAgent Desk (model # 9ZC2A3-500) EHD is connected
Issues - random reboot regardless of channel (last night it was History HD)

Recording works fine, but if you try to watch a program as it is being recorded (for example, WRCB HD-Chattanooga, WDSI HD-Chattanooga), the screen "hiccups" every few minutes. It basically goes dark for a second and comes back up.

I also have a 510 DVR and have no problems using it.

Thank you for all your post. We have a beta SW out right now that seems to fix this issue. We needed the R00/S00 to look up that accounts to see if issue in certain areas only.....keep the post coming if others still having issues!! Thank you again. No ETA for production release.
I am still having the reboot problem and can only hope that something is done soon to resolve the problem. My 211's are almost worthless now and I am still paying the monthly lease charge for them.:mad:

Count me in. Just updated my 211 to EHD over the weekend. It was working great until last night when I attempted (and failed) to watched two programs recorded from CBS 5 in the bay area here. First, the UI would stop working and the receiver wouldn't respond to the remote, but the show kept playing for maybe two minutes. Then black screen and reboot.

I'm going to see tonight if other recordings from other channels do the same thing, as I read another guy on dbstalk say he had the same issue on the same channel.
Would be very odd if it's channel specific... encoding difference? bitrate? 1080i vs. 720p?

I should note I have never had an OTA antenna attached to my system.

Not happy.