Rebooting Problems with 411/211/211k Receivers? Please Respond Here

1. Vip211 / R00 7921 6803-xx
2. Hardware ID RAGDN
3. Happens on several OTA stations like KFOR, KWTV, KETA
4. Switch back and forth between the OTA channels until receiver becomes unresponsive
5. This started after L524 was released and I upgraded to the External HD DVR 'feature'

6. Switch back and forth between OTA stations and before long the receiver becomes unresponsive.
Will not switch channels, display info or menu.
After about 10-15 minutes of unresponsiveness and the receiver spontaneously reboots.

Count me in. Just updated my 211 to EHD over the weekend. It was working great until last night when I attempted (and failed) to watched two programs recorded from CBS 5 in the bay area here. First, the UI would stop working and the receiver wouldn't respond to the remote, but the show kept playing for maybe two minutes. Then black screen and reboot.

I'm going to see tonight if other recordings from other channels do the same thing, as I read another guy on dbstalk say he had the same issue on the same channel.
Would be very odd if it's channel specific... encoding difference? bitrate? 1080i vs. 720p?
If in the SF Bay Area both Ch 5 and Ch 11 act this way. I no longer record on these two channels on my 211. Never seem to fail on my 722 so record them there which is sometimes a problem/conflict but usually succeed in getting a good recording that way.

I suppose I should quit "waiting" for a fix and start complaining to Dish.

If in the SF Bay Area both Ch 5 and Ch 11 act this way. I no longer record on these two channels on my 211. Never seem to fail on my 722 so record them there which is sometimes a problem/conflict but usually succeed in getting a good recording that way.

I suppose I should quit "waiting" for a fix and start complaining to Dish.

VIP 211 w/external hard drive (Maxtor 750GB):

KNTV 11 did it to me last night when trying to watch a recorded show that I recorded from 8 PM.
Had the same problem with KPIX 5. Used to have the same issue with KOVR 13 OTA but not anymore.

Hmm Dont want to jinx anything, but im pretty sure that new update fixed my 211K ota problems. I was able to watch FOX29 and MyTv Buffalo HD on the OTA today without any issues. What a relief! Hopefully it stays this way.:D

I'm having the problem - Dish just sent me a replacement receiver - it failed within the first hour of usage - so not the hardware. I'm on L524ravdg - it fails while watching a recorded program. First, the remote becomes unresponsive to commands, but the program continues to play - then the rec'r reboots itself - shuts down power, reloads etc.

I can watch sat tv with no problems and do not have an OTA antenna (no service available)

My HD is a Western Digital 500gb and I've been using the service since Nov/Dec last year successfully until the last month when this started.

I'm having the problem - Dish just sent me a replacement receiver - it failed within the first hour of usage - so not the hardware. I'm on L524ravdg - it fails while watching a recorded program. First, the remote becomes unresponsive to commands, but the program continues to play - then the rec'r reboots itself - shuts down power, reloads etc.
I am curious about what channels this is happening for you. Is it possibly CBS or NBC or both? Those are the two offenders for us here in the SF Bay Area.
BTW, where do you live?

I have no problems with recordings from FOX or ABC or any the the other Dish provided channels. I also cannot get reception OTA up here in Santa Rosa. Maybe when the cutover is complete and Sutro tower is upgraded to newer antennas later this year that will change. I'm hoping anyway.:hungry:

1. Receiver model / R00 9170 1282-84
2. Hardware ID ViP211k-HD
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters Paducah/any
4. Steps to duplicate None needed just hook up OTA and within 15 minutes it's frozen
5. How long issue has been going on. 2 weeks
6. If EHD is connected or not. yes WD 1TB

This is really annoying !!

1. Vip211 / R00 7921 6803-xx
2. Hardware ID RAGDN
3. Happens on several OTA stations like KFOR, KWTV, KETA
4. Switch back and forth between the OTA channels until receiver becomes unresponsive
5. This started after L524 was released and I upgraded to the External HD DVR 'feature'

6. Switch back and forth between OTA stations and before long the receiver becomes unresponsive.
Will not switch channels, display info or menu.
After about 10-15 minutes of unresponsiveness and the receiver spontaneously reboots.
Update: I now have L525 on my Vip211

I don't know when it came down but I havent had a spontaneous reboot in 2 or 3 days now. :)

Update: I now have L525 on my Vip211

I don't know when it came down but I havent had a spontaneous reboot in 2 or 3 days now. :)
I just discovered that I, too have L525 on my VIP211s. Tested one today and it did not freeze or reboot. Golly, I sure hope that problem is really fixed.:hungry:

I can also confirm the VIP 211 with L524 freeze and reboots are caused by local channels. I have had installer here. In 4 hours of troubleshooting he replaced the complete cabling, the dish and modulator on the roof and STB for brand new ones, After 4 hours we have disconnected OTA cable and the freezes and rebooting went away.

We have also figured out 100% successful way how to freeze the STB and that is switching to local (DFW) NBC affiliate by punching the channel code (005-1) rather than going through the guide. Once we switched this way to this channel, the STB froze and rebooted within a minute. If we just channel surfed to that channel, the freeze for intermitent.

I can confirm that at least on my VIP 211, release 525 seems to fix the issue with CBS 5 and NBC 11 in the bay area.
Mine hasn't rebooted since 525 but I still am getting a lot of breakup of the signal while watching anything recorded from those two channels. (Recorded from the LIL supplied by dish, not OTA.)

Yup, I'm seeing a ton of breakup too. Oh well, at least it's watchable. I wonder what the deal is with those stations- I'll bet whatever is causing the breakup caused the crashes and now they are working around it somehow.

Help

My one month "owned" not leased Vip211 just started having this reboot problem 3 days ago.

What are my options?

thanks for any reply

1. Receiver model / R00#76144087-89
2. Hardware ID ViP 211 SD
3. DMA / Channel # / Call Letters: Is not hooked-up for OTA TV
4. Software L525
5. How long issue has been going on. 3-4 days
6. If EHD connected...No

Thank you.

My one month "owned" not leased Vip211 just started having this reboot problem 3 days ago.

What are my options?

I guess I'm on my own.

Time to play Russian roulette with tech support. I guess this is the down side of owning your hardware.
I can hear it now crs "Firmware bug? I know nothing of a firmware problem. Its most likely your 211 that's the problem, We will be happy to lease you a new box for a 2 year commitment" :(

Mojo, hang in there, my problems seem to have stopped and I'm still running the old software. Here in Louisville it was channel specific. I just lost my hdmi port though, will have to send it in.

The Louisville DMA is having problems period... I have been in contact with dishquality and they are working on it.

Well, I'm back to having crashes. Can't watch a recent episode of deadliest catch (DSC HD) for more than two minutes without a reboot...

EDIT: Can't even watch live DSC HD without a crash after a minute or two now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts