Status
Please reply by conversation.

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
No more knockoffs and junk!
My first fta motor a few years ago was a sg2100. But it was a "LAVA' brand. It could easily move a 33" dish but could not move a Fortec 1.2m and quickly ate itself. My next (and current) is a sg9120. It is strong enough but sometimes randomly needs USALS tweaks, won't move occasionally unless I screw around with the receiver and switch between USALS and Diseqc and attempt to drive it around. Sometimes if I am working at the dish, it will not manually move west, though east has not been a problem. I press east and west and a few times, after 10-20 seconds it will proceed west. I've already posted here that I snapped the LNB connector input to the motor. The same thing happened to the WSI ESX521u lnb. The f81 connector is just floating in the case, with a conductor rod soldered to the board. Junk!

I've learned some lessons on gentleness, but also about not buying junk knockoffs. With the prices being more or less the same, its just a matter of not being deceived. I understand that WSI has a business model based on this. I will never buy anything from them again. They have a FirstStrike FS1 knockoff that looks exactly like my genuine model. Now they have an "AZ FOX"...come on. It is nice that Satelliteguys has a strict no piracy rule for the members, maybe it should also apply to sponsors.

When I start looking at replacing the SG9120 with perhaps a sg2100 - should I be looking Motek or DMSI? What are the odds that most stuff that says Motek are knockoffs?

I don't have too much free time before the rain starts again for the winter. I need to get it ordered, changed out and everything perfect before then.
Cheers

My experience is that there are more varieties of SG2100 than any other motor. It's a coin toss. Pick a reputable dealer whatever you do. I recently got a SG-2100 from Hypermegasat.com, and it works on my 90cm dish just fine. If I were going for a 1.2M dish, I'd get either a DG-380 from Sadoun, or a STAB hh120 from "somebody". I've gotten burned on SG-2100 motors in the past, so they are my last choice , generally speaking. Best think you can do is pick a reputable dealer, and hope for the best.

Yea, I wouldnt touch a new 2100.
Some people had good results in the beginning, giving them a favorable reputation.
Somewhere along the way DMSI substituted a lesser motor (or new vendor),
and denied they were shipping a different model.
(see old complaint threadS here on the forum for documentation)
So I'd never touch a2100 nor anything else from DMSI, today.

iphone 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)