Reccommendations

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
1 HDTV

2 SDTV's one for the kids, and one in my bedroom. I'd love or prefer to have SD DVR's in the kids room and mine.

Is the it worth getting the 811?

Should I just bite the bullet for the 942?

Im not too concerned with recording HD at the moment, just that I dont want to deal with continuous issues when I turn on the tv.

Any help is appreciated

Bite the bullet on the 942. To lease, it's $250 up front for new subs, then just the same charges as the 811. Both seem pretty stable now, but the 942 has lots of features.

My only concern is MPEG-4 compatibility down the road, and what kind of receiver upgrade incentives will E* offer.

The 811 are pretty decent, if you want HD DVR, go with 921 or 942, you can lease the 942.

The 510's are nice SD DVR's, our kids love it.

We have 3 811's, a 921, two 311's and a 510 on the 61in SD Sony in rec room. The kids keep that 510 recording about 12 hours a day.

Get the 942, feed it to your HDTV and your bedroom and get a 510 for the kids.

Why are there so many complaints about the 811?

Because I dont have any of this equipment, Im asking because you guys know for sure.

KDRE said:
Why are there so many complaints about the 811?

Because I dont have any of this equipment, Im asking because you guys know for sure.

there where alot of bugs, but the major ones have been worked out.

okay, here's an easy one, the 942 is charged on your bill right? Is it a must to pay it completely off all at once, or can you pay it off on 2 or 3 payments?

If youre a new customer, you will have to pay the $250 up front, as well as your first two months of service.

I've seen that mentioned before but I guess it just now hit me. That really sucks for some people--it's basically the equivalent of a decent monthly car payment, just to "borrow" this thing for a while. On top of that, you're still paying per month to continue to borrow it. I know I'm just repeating what's been said elsewhere on here, and I know that might just be how they are protecting their expenses on the hardware from unpredictable lease customers, but still...

StevenD said:
If youre a new customer, you will have to pay the $250 up front, as well as your first two months of service.

And current or returning customers?

That does suck pretty much. I may decide to get the HD Dvr later. It pretty much at the moment will be great to have the 511's, since I dont have anything of the sort at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the help

I have had the 811 now for a couple months and really haven't had any problems with it. Pretty good picture quality on my 57" Sony. My only complaint with it is having to download the programming menu every day or so... quite annoying. The SD DVR is nice since it does it in the background. In any case, I would recommend sticking with the 811 for now and wait and see what happens with the whole MPEG 4 issue. To me, I would hate to drop $250 on a LEASE for a 942 and then need to replace it in 6 months and pay for another lease option on an MPEG 4 equipped model. Anyway... my two cents...

Hey Phx Sat, thanks. I actually did go with the 811 for that reason mainly.

I also got the 625 so I wouldnt be charged an extra receiver fee, and since it has dual tuners Im good.

Install scheduled for next Tuesday.

They gave me the 3 months at the AT60 price

Its a shame I'll have to miss work for the install .... what a shame =-)

What to get?? : (

What is Costco Return Policy on 921

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)