Receiced my converter box "coupons" on 2/28

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Actually each is like credit or debit card. There is also an info sheet explaining avaialable models and retailers in my area carrying the boxes---no crosswalk between the two.

expiration is 5/23/2008. I realize that this may not get me the coveted Echosatar box but I intend to just get a reasonable converter for one TV and use the other coupon to donate a box to a charity I volunteer for and they would like to just get the box.

When did you request it, I did it the first week ...I think?? Maybe second week latest. We cannot preorder the echostar box??? The pics I saw had a sign about preorders if I am not mistaken.

I ordered as soonas the website was up and accepting orders.

The cobranded Echostar Sling box is not out yet. It has been discussed in these forums as the Tr-40. It is $39.99 meaning your cost after a coupon would be only the sales tax. Since I do not think I will be purchasing it I cannot speak to ultimate location but Echostar has indicated it will be available in May. It BTW can also pass through an analog signal so it may be something to consider if that feature is important.

So which of the available STB's will you redeem your coupons? I wanted the Echostar TR-40, but I have yet to receive my coupons - submitted application on 2 January. My number is 560,XXX so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I see mine.

Since the TR-40 won't be available for a while, I'm sort of leaning toward the Insignia available at Best Buy. At least it has some control buttons on the unit.

Let us know what you get, Geronimo and what you think of it (them) after you check it out.

I beleive the Insignia is the Same box as the lg and magnavox versions.

I don't think so. The Magnavox units at Wallyworld have no ventilation slots and no on-box control buttons. The Insignia units do have control buttons on the box.

Just received my 2 coupons today.

I went ahead and purchased an Insignia unit at Best Buy today, just have to work on a good OTA antenna now. I'm going to hold off on using the other one and try to wait for the TR-40. If it's getting down to the last few days before the coupon expires, I'll probably just purchase the Magnavox STB.

Another thing about the Magnavox STB vs the Insignia unit; the case on the Magnavox unit is made of plastic, while the Insignia unit's case is made of metal. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I agree. The Insignia has auto-tune, the Magnavox does not (as far as I can tell).
What does "auto-tune" mean in this context?

The Walmart ad claims both "channel search" and "auto channel store during wizard style setup".

I'm guessing that one or the other of these covers what you're talking about.

Buttons on the box are only handy if you're the kind who loses/breaks remotes.

So which of the available STB's will you redeem your coupons? I wanted the Echostar TR-40, but I have yet to receive my coupons - submitted application on 2 January. My number is 560,XXX so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I see mine.

Since the TR-40 won't be available for a while, I'm sort of leaning toward the Insignia available at Best Buy. At least it has some control buttons on the unit.

Let us know what you get, Geronimo and what you think of it (them) after you check it out.

I will use onr to get the magnavox box only because it will be a donation to a charity and that is the box they asked for. The other one I may not pick up immediately.

Have not Got Mine Yet

I have not got mine yet. Can't wait. Seems to me I tried to goto the website before it was up and then I did order them when I could. So Hopefully any day. I did go back and try to re-order and it said I already ordered my two coupons. So Hopefully they will show up soon.

later,

Josh

Model comparisons/similarities were made just a few posts ago...and it appears that the Insignia (at Best Buy) and the Zenith (at Circuit City) are identical -- based upon the website pictures of the units. The front panel, rear connections, and remote all look identical. The RCA at Wal-Mart appeared to be the cheapest-looking unit, as in "cheap" quality.

Eric

Best Buy Insignia® - Digital-to-Analog Converter for Analog TVs - NS-DXA1

Circuity City Buy the Zenith Digital to Analog TV Tuner/Converter Box and other HD receivers & TV tuners at circuitcity.com

Wal-Mart RCA Thomson RCA DTA800 Digital TV Converter Box - Wal-Mart

No, auto tune is "turn to channel 13 at 9:30pm". This is used for VCR/DVD recording. The Insignia box has it, and is one of the few.
Just for the record, I was incorrect. The Insignia box does not work as I described. An owner in another thread pointed this out to me. Sorry! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)