Receiver advice

Andyman33

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 24, 2006
Hey guys...still trying to find out what receiver choices I have. Preferably I would LOVE the onkyo 606 but this may just be too much money right now. Is there anything that may be a little cheaper? I have a ps3 that I use for bluray and it is my understanding that the PS3 can do all of the HD audio processing so it may be overkill to get a receiver that does it as well. One thing that I know that is also important is that I have 2 HDMI minimum AND that it doesnt just pass through BUT can actually take the audio from the HDMI cable because I don't want to use optical as well as the hdmi.

Thanks for the help
Andrew

Hey guys...still trying to find out what receiver choices I have. Preferably I would LOVE the onkyo 606 but this may just be too much money right now. Is there anything that may be a little cheaper? I have a ps3 that I use for bluray and it is my understanding that the PS3 can do all of the HD audio processing so it may be overkill to get a receiver that does it as well. One thing that I know that is also important is that I have 2 HDMI minimum AND that it doesnt just pass through BUT can actually take the audio from the HDMI cable because I don't want to use optical as well as the hdmi.

Thanks for the help
Andrew

I thought the Onkyo 606 was one of the least expensive AVR's to pass lossless HDMI audio.

do you know if ecost gets more of them in? They are currently out of stock now...but that is where I was going to go if thats the route I go

well, I think I could talk the wife into about 600 for everything...probably going to start iwth the receiver a center channel and 2 speakers...possibly a sub but probably not at that pricepoint

Do you have any speakers now?

Just asking, because the Denon 1909 is still $486 shipped. I cant remember all the differences, but there are not too big.

606 has four hdmi inputs, the 605 has two. Also has improved version of Audyssey. These are prob the two most important differences.

No speakers yet...one question what about the onkyo 6100 or 7100 HTIB. It comes with the 606 and 7.1 speakers. SOME people have said they have gotten it in the 500s range for EVERYTHING shipped...its 729 on newegg for the 7100 and 599 for the 6100. Anyone have input on that?

Appears they both have the same speakers, 7100 is the 606 while the 6100 is something else.

7100 comes with speaker stands, if you dont need them, go with the 6100.

well, i went with the onkyo 606 and a pair of floorstanding PSB speakers (5T's) on craigslist. The speakers were 175 for the pair (killer deal I think)! But the setup is my start and damn I am glad of it! I would recommend these PSB speakers to ANYONE ... got em hooked up bi-amp since i don't have surrounds or anything yet, but slowly I will build this system with psb's and some subwoofer probably HSU or KLH. SOOOOOOOO much smarter than going the HTIB route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)