Receiver losing contact with EHD

ilfoman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
North
My 211K has recently been losing contact with the external hard drive resulting in the need to do a re-boot each time to restore the recorded programs. It seems to happen after a recording, or series of recordings. Sometimes, it needs 2 or 3 re-boots before the PVR feature is restored. Very annoying, to say the least, since the receiver has to go through the whole process of signal acquisition etc.
This happened over a year ago for a while, and I complained to DISH and the problem went away.
Just wondering if they have changed the firmware which may be causing the problem again. Anyone else?
Thanks for your help.

My 211K has recently been losing contact with the external hard drive resulting in the need to do a re-boot each time to restore the recorded programs. It seems to happen after a recording, or series of recordings. Sometimes, it needs 2 or 3 re-boots before the PVR feature is restored. Very annoying, to say the least, since the receiver has to go through the whole process of signal acquisition etc.
This happened over a year ago for a while, and I complained to DISH and the problem went away.
Just wondering if they have changed the firmware which may be causing the problem again. Anyone else?
Thanks for your help.
If you have access to a unix system, connect the drive run a disk check on it. It may be the drive is beginning to die.

The other possibility is that the drive is entering a sleep state and not recovering properly. Try power cycling the drive. It's much faster than booting the receiver.

Thanks for the advice kwindrem. I don't have a UNIX system, but I'll try the drive power recycle next time it happens.

A liveCD or DVD of your Linux distribution of choice work well too. I personally prefer Scientific Linux. ;) No installation necessary.