Receiver model from Receiver ID?

Dish Network themselves can. The receiver numbers are like serial numbers, so when they type them in their system, it tells them what model receiver.

I do NOT know of a way for non-dishnetwork people to tell what model it is.

That's what I thought... So what are the odds that Sky Angel has access or can get access to this info?

The reason I ask is that SA recently sent letters to all subscribers requesting receiver and smart card numbers. It occurs to me that if they could determine what receiver their customers currently have they could then make cost projections for switching to MPEG4, etc.

I know it's a reach, but I have been trying to figure out why they are trying to collect this info since current subscribers already receive authorized programming. There is a change coming up to SA subscriptions, but even then they would only need this info for people opting to add the new package (even this need is doubtful); I can't see a need to collect this for the people declining the new package.

Anyway, those are my wandering thoughts this Sunday morning! :D

Cheers,
Red

Yeah, that is odd... you would think they would have all that information. Maybe their computer crashed and they forgot to back up. So they need to reenter everyones info :p
yeah, i don't really know... that is odd though

They only have the numbers from those who gave them the info, for example when they first signed up. If since then you have called up Dish and added or deleted a receiver, their info is out of date.

True for Dish, I was referring to the question about why does Sky Angel need the information and the fact that it's obsolete if you call Dish and change something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)