Receiver not getting locals anymore

herefishy

Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
We recently "moved" from our home(billing address) in southern NM(which receive El Paso, TX locals) to Alamagordo, NM(which gets the Albuquerque, NM locals). Everything was working fine on our old Model 2700 receiver until the other day, no locals, which is the only thing we are subscribed. I tried resetting the receiver, did switch test, and finally called Dish who tried sending signal to activate the locals without success. After talking to two level one phone people they passed me off to level 2 support who asked for model id, smart card #, software service level, etc. He finally concluded it was our receiver which he will send a model 311 for $75 plus $15 for shipping. I have nothing against this but does anything not sound right about the receiver just going bad?

Very unlikely that the receiver went bad coincident with your "move". By the way, do I understand that you "moved" your service address without actually moving the receiver? If it's actually still hooked up to the very same dish antenna as it was before when working on the TX locals, then this even more strongly argues for a problem on Dish's end.

BTW - you don't get locals only; you also get Dish Info (101), possibly the free public interest channels, and the shopping channels. Are all those gone too?

A 2700 Legacy receiver could easily be your culprit. I'm not sure I would jump on the 311 though at $75 plus shipping. Three alternatives would be add protection plan for $6 and get a free replacement then cancel after 6 mo.(cancel protection),2 shop ebay for a used receiver something like a 501/508PVR without DVR fees would be tempting to me. Or if you want a "new" upgrade I would look at a 211 and have it HD ready for future proofing.

Receivers go bad all the time...
Sure, any electronics can fail, but why would it only lose his local channels ? There's nothing unique in the receiver that will "break" and cause just those channels to be lost. My money says Matt will resolve it with keystrokes on his computer...

I live in SE NM and am stuck with the Albuquerque locals, would much rather have real locals that are 150 miles from my house(I go to El Paso quite a bit, been to Albuquerque once) as opposed to those 300 miles away... ;) Hall is right losing just locals is weird.

Very unlikely that the receiver went bad coincident with your "move". By the way, do I understand that you "moved" your service address without actually moving the receiver? If it's actually still hooked up to the very same dish antenna as it was before when working on the TX locals, then this even more strongly argues for a problem on Dish's end.

BTW - you don't get locals only; you also get Dish Info (101), possibly the free public interest channels, and the shopping channels. Are all those gone too?

Thanks for all the responses. A little more background and some clarification: I was only using the receiver for the Denver channels in Colorado for the summer and when I went home in the fall since they were CONUS I watched the channels in NM. After they went spotbeam my only choice was to get the El Paso, TX channels who did not show the Bronco games. I therefore moved to Alamagordo, NM who got the Albuquerque channels. I was able to watch those channels to start with and then they disappeared. I do get the free Dish channels; it's only the locals that were effected. I would be glad to send Matt the info if you think it might be a Dish problem.

I don't think Matt is going to touch this one. It sounds like your literal address is in the El Paso DMA but you want the Albuquerque channels. Perhaps the spotbeams from Albuquerque, there are two, one for Hd and one for SD, have changed slightly and you are out of the beam.

Albuquerque SD locals are on 119 tp 2 spotbeam b8. El Paso SD locals are on 110 tp 29 spotbeam 31. What kind of signal strength are you showing for 119 tp 2? If that looks OK, I claim this is a receiver authorization problem and Dish will have to fix it.

Note also that as of Feb 1 the locals-only package is now grandfathered if you can get it at all. The cheapest package nowadays is the $15 Welcome Pack w/locals.

Just took a look at "The List" Thefollowing showed up

KRQE (13) MPEG4 HD 8PSK 10 Spotbeam 35 6326
This is on 129 and is most prob HD.
The SD is also spotbeamed on a different sat.
So you may be outside the spotbeam footprint.

I don't think Matt is going to touch this one. It sounds like your literal address is in the El Paso DMA but you want the Albuquerque channels. Perhaps the spotbeams from Albuquerque, there are two, one for Hd and one for SD, have changed slightly and you are out of the beam.

What you say is true about the DMA. I looked up a chart that says Albuquerque locals are on satellite 110 spotbeam 31. If this is the case I do not get a signal on tp 31. I guess I am out of luck.:(

Bobby
Since the OP has a SD only receiver that wont work

interesting....looking at a DMA map the OP is in the ONE county in New Mexico that gets El Paso locals

Albuquerque SD locals are on 119 tp 2 spotbeam b8. El Paso SD locals are on 110 tp 29 spotbeam 31. What kind of signal strength are you showing for 119 tp 2? If that looks OK, I claim this is a receiver authorization problem and Dish will have to fix it.

Note also that as of Feb 1 the locals-only package is now grandfathered if you can get it at all. The cheapest package nowadays is the $15 Welcome Pack w/locals.

OK, I adjusted satellite to 119 tp2 which says spotbeam and got in the 70s for strength. I haven't got the locals yet but years ago when I had my dish down for quite a while I was advised to get good strength on the bird, then turn recever off and they will be downloaded. Does that sound right?i

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)