Receiver Replacement Suggestions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dennise

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I'm looking for a replacement receiver for my 'old' Pansat 3500SD which will not handle the newer 'S2' format. The new receiver has to work with my existing Ku band hardware:

• Fortec 90cm dish
  • STAB HH120 motor
  • Invacom QPH 031 LNB

This setup (above) has performed well for me prior to the new 'S2' format.

The receiver features must include the following:

1. HD
  2. Must include DVB-S2 format
  3. Blind scan
  4. HDMI
  5. Integrated AC3 audio
  6. USALS motor I/F
  7. convenient SW upgrade ability (no cables desired)

Can someone please narrow the choices down? I'll then look into those. This would save me a lot of time.

Based on what I perceive to be your needs and budget :
1. Sathawk 800 PVR from Sadoun ( Openbox s-9, Solomend 800, same thing) .
- Pro's: least expensive HD unit , has a nice fast blindscan, good USALS motor control, simple to operate. Price about $179.
-Cons: Can't tell what the full parameters are ( FEC, Pilot, etc, or even if it's a SVB-S2 channel or DVB-S. Manual PID entry ONLY via the channel editor.

2. Azbox HD Ultra .
-Pros: Mid priced HD Unit that is from the most complete receiver series available. The Azbox tunes more channels than any other receiver , NOTABLY 4:2:2 chroma video feeds. This is it's major advantage. If you HAD to have just one receiver, this would be the one, if you want 4:2:2 video. Price about $279 .
-Cons: So many features that the menues can be confusing . Not as simple as the Sathawk menu system and takes more getting used to.

3. Pansat 9200.
-Pro's : Reputable brand, has all the features of the Sathawk ( if you add the latest S2 option board ) . You CAN figure out the parameters of the tp ( FEC, DVB-S2, Pilot, etc ) Price with option board - About $349 at best, maybe more .
-Con's : Overheating problems in the past, maybe from poor add on boards. Overpriced when the Azbox and Sathawk are included in the comparison. Still, I wouldn't turn one down if it were well priced.

Hope this helps.
:)

I would recommend:
DVBWorld 2104D USB DVB receiver which fully meets your requirements and does 4.2.2 chroma. But it requires a good PC preferably hooked to your TV via HDMI.
Openbox S9 HD PVR which does it all except 4.2.2 feeds so you will miss some good sports feeds.
I have both and the 2104D is my favorite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts