This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Receiver Replacement Suggestions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dennise

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2008
I'm looking for a replacement receiver for my 'old' Pansat 3500SD which will not handle the newer 'S2' format. The new receiver has to work with my existing Ku band hardware:

• Fortec 90cm dish
  • STAB HH120 motor
  • Invacom QPH 031 LNB

This setup (above) has performed well for me prior to the new 'S2' format.

The receiver features must include the following:

1. HD
  2. Must include DVB-S2 format
  3. Blind scan
  4. HDMI
  5. Integrated AC3 audio
  6. USALS motor I/F
  7. convenient SW upgrade ability (no cables desired)

Can someone please narrow the choices down? I'll then look into those. This would save me a lot of time.

Thanks

Based on what I perceive to be your needs and budget :
1. Sathawk 800 PVR from Sadoun ( Openbox s-9, Solomend 800, same thing) .
- Pro's: least expensive HD unit , has a nice fast blindscan, good USALS motor control, simple to operate. Price about $179.
-Cons: Can't tell what the full parameters are ( FEC, Pilot, etc, or even if it's a SVB-S2 channel or DVB-S. Manual PID entry ONLY via the channel editor.

2. Azbox HD Ultra .
-Pros: Mid priced HD Unit that is from the most complete receiver series available. The Azbox tunes more channels than any other receiver , NOTABLY 4:2:2 chroma video feeds. This is it's major advantage. If you HAD to have just one receiver, this would be the one, if you want 4:2:2 video. Price about $279 .
-Cons: So many features that the menues can be confusing . Not as simple as the Sathawk menu system and takes more getting used to.

3. Pansat 9200.
-Pro's : Reputable brand, has all the features of the Sathawk ( if you add the latest S2 option board ) . You CAN figure out the parameters of the tp ( FEC, DVB-S2, Pilot, etc ) Price with option board - About $349 at best, maybe more .
-Con's : Overheating problems in the past, maybe from poor add on boards. Overpriced when the Azbox and Sathawk are included in the comparison. Still, I wouldn't turn one down if it were well priced.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend:
DVBWorld 2104D USB DVB receiver which fully meets your requirements and does 4.2.2 chroma. But it requires a good PC preferably hooked to your TV via HDMI.
Openbox S9 HD PVR which does it all except 4.2.2 feeds so you will miss some good sports feeds.
I have both and the 2104D is my favorite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.