Receiver Temperature

vttvwatcher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
in a house
I have a 722 DVR. It is a refurbished/remanufactured unit I received today to replace a unit that failed.

As you look at the front of the machine, the left side is hot to touch. It doesn't smell hot -- there's no burning smell, but it is certainly hot...much much warmer than the right side of the unit (which is luke warm.)

Is this normal? Anything to be concerned about? I hate to start building up programming on my DVR, only to lose it when the unit burns itself out...

That is the location of the power supply.

That is why many place a small fan pulling hot air out of the left side to help keep the internal temps down.

This unit has one small fan that blows air across the upper end of the hard drive - which is mostly useless - instead of using the fan to exhaust hot air from the unit.

Agree. What's important is NOT blowing cold air into the unit. It's blowing hot air OUT of the unit. Cold air from the environment will replace the hot air. The only problem with negative air pressure is that it tends to collect more dust. That's why the ideal solution is to have intake AND exhaust, but alas, that probably costs more to add all those fans to every receiver than just replacing receivers that die due to temps.

I had the same "problem" with my Hopper - per the recommendation of someone here (don't remember who), I bought a set of fans on eBay from this member (note: they also have more fan systems, these are just ones designed for Dish receivers):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...46732.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dish&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They arrived last Friday and I installed them as soon as I got them. In the first 2 days, it brought the average HDD temperature down 6 degrees and it slowly lowered in the days that followed. I'm not sure what period of time the "average" temperature is taken over (I've read that's a 2 week average on this forum).

I bought the one with the thermoswitch (turns them on when they are "needed"), but since the fans ended up being very quiet, I took the thermoswitch out and have them run continuously.

Some members also use laptop cool pads and say they work well, but I haven't tried it. The systems I linked to above will pull the hot air out of the vents on the right side of the receiver (which is where my Hopper's power supply is, and it gets very hot).

I was using one of those Thermaltake fans as an exhaust in the compartment where my Hopper is. (and my 722k before that). It did a decent job. But, I still needed to remove the chassis cover to let the heat out of the DVR first, before venting it out of the entertainment unit.

I have since upgraded to a two-fan system, and have been able to re-attach the chassis cover. I place one fan next to the side vents by the PSU (right-side on Hopper, left-side on 722k), and one to vent air out of the entertainment unit compartment. Both fans connect to a single USB port on the back of the Hopper.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVC1DS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)