Receiver to replace my outdated H21

Berniej

Original poster
Jul 19, 2020
Ohio
Hello I'm new to this group and see that others have had questions about DTV. I have had DTV since it came out and have a cottage that has its own box and Dish as well. I have had no problem with it since installed. I am Technology challenged so need some help or suggestions.
I have H21 HD boxes and NO recorders and a Slimeline 5 LNB dish at both my home and cottage and has worked fine. I had the dishes aligned about 2 years ago and the technician left a 3 LNB and a SWM adapter for use with newer receivers which I have not installed at this point. I have been advised by DTV that my receiver is outdated and needs to be replaced.
I see that ATT will now ship the new receiver with instructions to install. My question is:
I need some help on which new receiver I should get im told its the Mini Genie and will require a SWM Dish which I can set up.
1. Does anyone have this receiver and will it work and do what I plan on doing? I will never use the recording feature. Is Genie available without wireless as I dont have at Cottage only home.
2. I feel the change to SWM is quite simple to do correct?
3. Will the Genie work with my 5 LNB or do I need to change to the 3 LNB the technician left me?

If you have any suggestions feel free to state. I understand that the H24 HD receiver is outdated as well, is that correct. As I said I am TECHNOLOGY CHALLENGED, LOL

Thanks in advance

First and foremost ... DO NOT get the HS17 (Genie 2 ) as you will want something at the cottage and that device will limit you to your home.
My recommendations would be a Genie HR54 and a H24 for the Cottage ...
I would be surprised if they just send them out for you to deal with, but times are changing .. it could be.

IF they do the set up, have them put the HR54 (HR44 would also work), at your main TV in the home and have them set up the H24 elsewhere in the home ... once they are gone, take the H24 to the cottage.

The LNB will need to be changed at the home for sure, they will supply it and change it.
The Cottage you'll have to do yourself.

2. If the dish is accessible, Yes ...
3. The 3 lnb will do most everything for you ... if the tech left the 3 its probably a SWM LNB, use that.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I do not have internet at either facility. I use a hot spot on my Iphone. Does the HR54 need wifi? It would eat up my data plan. If it has wifi is there a receiver that does HAVE or not need wifi?

I understand that the H24 is no longer available? Have you heard that?

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I do not have internet at either facility. I use a hot spot on my Iphone. Does the HR54 need wifi? It would eat up my data plan. If it has wifi is there a receiver that does HAVE or not need wifi?

I understand that the H24 is no longer available? Have you heard that?

The HR54 can use internet if connected but doesn't need it to function. The H24 is still available, it is the H25 that is no longer available to residential customers.

If they are willing to swap your H21 for an H24 great, but if not hold onto the H21. It does not "need to be replaced", it will continue to work fine for years so you can keep using it in your cottage if you can't get an H24 as a replacement.

Reactions: Jimbo
Thanks, I will see if the H24 is available. I just want a basic receiver I dont record or anything. Will the H24 require to hook up my SWM change over?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts