Receiving HD in LOS ANGELES w/ DirectTV box and TV (Terk-Audiovox) 44 antena

Status
Please reply by conversation.

talian

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
I just switched to DirectTV and did not purchase their HD package. I instead bought a TV44 antenna hoping that I would just get the LOCAL Los Angeles HD channels through the antenna. I have been unsuccessful or just missing steps.

here's my situation

1.) I have 3 DirectTV STANDARD-DEF receivers (don't know the exact model...it's a SILVER small box w/ no slots for acesss cards, etc.). Got my service in May 2006.

2.) I installed the TV44 antenna on my dish outside.

3.) And I did the "Auto-channel" search on my TV and it seemed to not be getting the HD Local Channels. What am I doing wrong? For instance, the KABC-7 website told me to switch my TV to channel 789 to get their Channel in HD...but my TV doesn't even let me switch to that Channel. I'm testing this on a Sony Plasma. Just like the directions on the TV44 my DirectTV receiver is off for me to get my local HD Channels on my TV.

so my question is: What steps am I missing? How do I get my Los Angeles local channels...what channel numbers do I have to punch in on my remote? And what are the HD channels and DT channels. I've searched the atennaguy list and quite don't understand the lingo such as Channel 7.1, frequency, etc. Do I need a separate HD receiver to get the HD Local channels from the antenna? DirecTV made me buy a separate HDreceiver from Best Buy but I'm thinking that it's not needed. ...that my standard def DirecTV receiver would enable me to get the DirectTV Channels and if I switch it off and just use my TV that I would get my LOCAL HD channels from the Antenna.

The reason why I'm assuming that my Local HD channels aren't coming through is because the picture looks squeezed on the 16:9 monitor and the picture is not that clear. Aren't I suppose to get the crystal crips clear picture I see at the Electronics Store?? Granted that my antenna is positioned the right way?

I live on the 9075, California area.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

A few questions,

1. Is your TV a HD TV and does it have a built in HD tuner?
2. Is your antenna connected to your TV or the DirecTV box?

If your TV has a built in HD tuner, you must attach the antenna to your TV and not your DirecTV box since your DirecTV boxes are not HD boxes and thus do not have built in HD tuners.

Do you have a ATSC HD tuner at all? In the TV or set-top box?

If you do, I am willing to bet good money that 1) the antenna you have is not worth its weight and 2) that you may not be aiming at the correct heading 3) both.

Attached is you area's DT info (I had to make up an actual zip as yours was missing a digit) I would look into one of these antennas as a replacement and make sure to aim toward the correct heading.

Channel Master CM 4228
Antennas Direct DB8
Winegard PR 8800

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 218
What it sounds like is you just plopped the Terk antenna on the dish and didn't hook up any cables. You need to run the antenna output to the input of your TV. You can do this two ways.

One is to use a dedicated cable from the Terk to the HD TV. If you are using the coax cable to connect your D* receiver to the TV, just connect the antenna cable to the "Off Air In" connector on the back (above the "Out To TV" connector). Remember to turn the receiver off to allow the off air signals to pass through to the TV.

The second way is to use either the built-in diplexer in the Terk antenna or a multiswitch with a built in diplexer. Run the satellite cable through the Terk diplexer, or run the antenna output into the OTA antenna input of the multiswitch. Then put a diplexer on the "Satellite In" line on the receiver connected to the TV and run the VHF/UHF side to the previously mentioned off air in connector.

As for the channel to tune, I'd ignore the info on the KABC web site. It's written for cable subscribers, as the cable company is the only one who would place the digital/HD version of KABC on such a high position. You'll find the HD channel at an indicated channel 7-1 or 7.1. If KABC provides any other subchannels, they'll be on 7-2, 7-3, etc. The actual frequency KABC is transmitting on is immaterial, unless you want to check signal strength. It can be found at www.antennaweb.org, by filling in your location information on the lookup screen.

BTW, are you aware ther is an easier way to do this? Just get a H20 HD receiver-you'll get your big 4 HD locals as part of the local channel package, and stil be able to get the other channels via the reciever's built-in ATSC tuner, not to mention that you won't have to keep turning the receiver on and off... the OTA channels will be integrated into the D* program guide!

WOW! I can't thank everyone on here for such a swift informative reponse. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

to answer some of the questions:

1.) My zipcode is 90745-- Carson, CA

2.) My TV is a Sony Plasma KE-42TS2U and my other TV is a Sony Bravia.

3.) YES, all my cables are connected according to the manual of the TV44 antenna.

OUTSIDE on the antenna attached to the dish: "TO Receiver cable" connected to the "OUT" 1-3 terminals on the TV44 antenna. The "IN" 1-3 terminals of the TV44 to the "OUT" or "TO RECEIVER" terminals on multi-switch.

INSIDE w/ diplexers: Satellite cable to the terminal "TV/SAT" on the diplexer. from the terminal labeled "SAT" on diplexer to receiver's "SAT IN". from the terminal labeled "TV" on diplexer to sat receiver's "ANT IN" terminal.

4.) With putting channels on my remote. For instance w/ the KABC example... how would I physically 7-1 or 7.1 on my TV. Do I just press "7". I do apologize if it does seem amateurish...but I'm completely NEW into this and anxious to see the crisp HD signal :).

5.) What is an H20 HD receiver??? And do I have to pay for the monthly subscription w/ DirecTV (which I'm trying to avoid, hence the purchase of an atenna). I in fact purchased a DirectV H20 receiver...but I have not unpacked it thinking that since I'm not subscribing to the DirecTV HD Packaage that it won't work or I would I only need it if I do purchase the HD Package through DirectTV. Also I have 3 TVs. So if I go the H20 route do I have to get an H20 receiver for each TV??

So what options should I now try based on my current set-up.

Thank you so much once again in advance.

talian said:
5.) What is an H20 HD receiver??? And do I have to pay for the monthly subscription w/ DirecTV (which I'm trying to avoid, hence the purchase of an atenna). I in fact purchased a DirectV H20 receiver...but I have not unpacked it thinking that since I'm not subscribing to the DirecTV HD Packaage that it won't work or I would I only need it if I do purchase the HD Package through DirectTV. Also I have 3 TVs. So if I go the H20 route do I have to get an H20 receiver for each TV??

If you use the H20 receiver that you have purchased you would not have to subscribe to the HD package. You would only need this if you dont have a ATSC HD tuner in your TV. I would also take charper1's advice and look into one of the antennas that he has recommended.

The KE-42TS2U has an ATSC tuner built in, try hooking the antenna output from the diplexor directly to the antenna in on the TV. The SD Directv receiver you are using doesn't have an ATSC tuner nor does it pass the signal through to the TV. If you don't get anything after you try that, move on to a better properly installed and aimed antenna, the Terk you are using is hit or miss because you can't aim it.

If your other TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner, you can hook the H20 up to it and use the ATSC tuner in it for your digital locals.

mjones1973 said:
The KE-42TS2U has an ATSC tuner built in, try hooking the antenna output from the diplexor directly to the antenna in on the TV. The SD Directv receiver you are using doesn't have an ATSC tuner nor does it pass the signal through to the TV.

You are correct in that no D* SD receiver has an ATSC tuner in it, but wrong about the OTA antenna signal not being passed through the receiver. To access the OTA antenna with a D* receiver, all you have to do is turn the receiver off. The signal will be passed through.

1.) Ok I connected the antenna output from the diplexor directly to the TV...still the same. Shall I try substituting the SD DirecTV receiver to the H20 DirectTV HD receiver ?

2.) And my question is WHERE do I locate my HD Local Channels once I finally get them successfully through the antenna. I was told that they won't be the same channel as the standard def channel (i.e., channel 2,4,7). The HD version of these channels suppose to be higher numbers? If so to what. My TV doesn't let me put in any channel higher than 69 and if I turn on its "CABLE" option it's only detecting channels to 170.

You probably need a better antenna. The tv should automatically list the digital channels with their analog channel number. Look at the attachment charper1 posted in post#3 at the end it says frequency assignment, that is the digital channel number for each of those stations. You might try a zenith silver sensor a lot of people have had good luck it. Most of your stations are uhf and within 30 miles. The terk clip on is not a very good antenna. I tried it at a rental while my house was being built and I couldn't get anything and I was only 15 miles from the transmitters.

Your antenna is a directional one but it is now pointed in the opposite direction to the TV antennas on Mt. Wilson. That is the problem with the clip on antennas - you are locked into the direction in which your dish is pointing. If you lived in the San Fernando Valley you might be OK but Carson is the opposite direction for the TV antennas. Get an antenna that you can point independent of the dish direction.

By the way, can you give us a reading of the signal strength you are getting on each of the 32 transponders on the 101 degrees satellite - it is on the system setup menu and satellite submenu - it will help to give me a precise view of the direction of your dish.

talian said:
1.) Ok I connected the antenna output from the diplexor directly to the TV...still the same. Shall I try substituting the SD DirecTV receiver to the H20 DirectTV HD receiver ?

2.) And my question is WHERE do I locate my HD Local Channels once I finally get them successfully through the antenna. I was told that they won't be the same channel as the standard def channel (i.e., channel 2,4,7). The HD version of these channels suppose to be higher numbers? If so to what. My TV doesn't let me put in any channel higher than 69 and if I turn on its "CABLE" option it's only detecting channels to 170.

1) No, you need a better antenna you can aim as it's been stated about 5 times now. If it's possible, I'd suggest running seperate cabling for the antenna also instead of using diplexors. Also, the OTA tuner won't work on the H20 until it's activated.

2) Your list of available local channels was posted here already, the .1 channels are where they would appear on your tuner.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=604765&postcount=3

Last edited:
Newshawk said:
You are correct in that no D* SD receiver has an ATSC tuner in it, but wrong about the OTA antenna signal not being passed through the receiver. To access the OTA antenna with a D* receiver, all you have to do is turn the receiver off. The signal will be passed through.

Thanks for the clarification, I've never hooked up an SD receiver to my HD set via coax, didn't know it would pass it through.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)