Recent Dish picture quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You are correct, HD is really the resolution of the display. Say 1080p vs. 1080i or 720p.
So they can set and send at an HD resolution but still compress the signal which always causes some loss of data. For the paid Movie Channels in HD or the sponsored channels like Hallmark, they compress less so it will look better.

As of yet, I have not heard of any compression algorithm for 4K programming, but I'm sure that it will come. But 4K, instead of resolution, is a data transfer rate. So, the would at least have to transfer data at 4K even if your set supports 4K video. That is why you need to by the newest special HDMI cables because the older ones just can't handle the data rate. As said above, that's probably why there is only 1 4K channel in the lineup right now.
Um, no. 4k has a horizontal resolution of about 4000 pixels (3840 to be exact).

Reactions: Bobby
It isn't likely a "bad input" on your TV. Dish PQ can be rather compressed and look it.

Hopefully with the retirement of all the older mpeg2 receivers (supposedly at the end of this year), the increased bandwidth of an all mpeg4 platform will help. But I am not holding my breath.

I’ve been with Dish for a little over 15 years. Back then, and for many years off and on, Dish picture quality was iffy and variable. Then a few years ago, it seemed to be much improved over previous years. Now it seems, to my eyes anyway, that the picture quality is eroding again (most noticeable with what I call “jpg artifacts”). This is on most channels. Has anyone noticed this slow erosion of quality image? Granted, one of these images is from Fox, so quality is especially bad.
Yes i noticed it a week ago, on Epix, even the letter box format is too small, for viewing

It isn't likely a "bad input" on your TV. Dish PQ can be rather compressed and look it.

Hopefully with the retirement of all the older mpeg2 receivers (supposedly at the end of this year), the increased bandwidth of an all mpeg4 platform will help. But I am not holding my breath.
Actually, that isn't even supposed to start until sometime next year. Considering all of the delays the last time Dish did one of these transitions (phasing out QPSK receivers, switching to all 8PSK) it would really surprise me if Dish actually gets this MPEG-2 phase-out completed by the end of 2021.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts