Reception thru screen

BgSat

Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
I have moved into an apartment. We cannot have dishes on the outside of the building, however I have a screened-in balcony-like thing that is very small. I should be able to mount a dish out there, but I cannot remove the screen so the dish would be behind the screen.

Is this alright?

Thanks!

What kind of screen are you talking about? Is it like a thin mesh or something like a screen door? As far as the apartment mounting, you may be able to use a tripod or balcony mount and some flatwire.

It's a thin screen. Not sure whether it is wire mesh or nylon - pretty sure its metal.

Try using a jumper cable. One long enough to go from your receiver to your LNB. Use a compass to find your bird if possible and aim the dish by hand. I know it seems primitive but it's fast and easy way to find line of site. Just remember to adjust slowly because there is a slight delay to your receiver.

Thanks for the help.

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that I connect the dish to my receiver in the house using x' of coax, then try getting a signal thru the screen.

Is this what you mean? Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again! I so do not want to have to get cable.

Bg

If its a metal screen it will more than likely attenuate your signal. If you can replace the screen with a nylon one you will have a better signal strength...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)