What Screen Resolutions Are Being Offered for TV Viewing?

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
Hello,

Charter is offering Fiber Optics television in my area. Is their Fiber Optic service like AT&T U Verse's where the resolution is not true to what the movie or show was filmed in, rather it is a one resolution offering that is underwhelming to say the least IMO? Or is Charter's Fiber Optic TV programing 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, as determined by what the shows were filmed in and by what each network kicks out for broadcast? I've surfed the web like crazy for an answer to this question, and come up with nothing.

I had Charter's Fiber Optic TV service installed here on Monday. Their picture resolution is whatever the source station transmitted originally. Charter Fiber Optic TV programs are either 480p, 720p, 1080i, as intended by the broadcaster. I don't know if they also provide the 1080p resolution. I've not seen it yet. The picture quality is excellent. I've not seen as good of a picture offered by a cable or satellite company in years. The 1080i looks as good as the picture on BlueRay discs.

You won't see any 1080p. There are no channels that broadcast in 1080p so you won't see that no matter which cable/satellite provider you have. HD channels are either 720p or 1080i. Using the big 4 broadcast networks as an example, NBC and CBS are 1080i while Fox and ABC are 720p.

If your cable receiver has native pass through it will just send your TV the native resolution that the channel is broadcasting in. This is what I would choose because in my opinion the fewer conversions the better. If you set your box to 720p it will convert all the 1080i channels to that resolution before sending it along to your TV. If you select 1080i than the box has to convert the 720p channels.

Like I said, I prefer to just get the channels in their native format and let the TV handle it.

Reactions: old corps