Recession? What recession? Baseball claims record revenues!

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
So, about that economy:
“According to numbers provided to our pal Maury Brown at Biz of Baseball, Major League Baseball brought in a record $6.6 billion in gross revenue during the 2009 season. That amount was a 1.5 percent increase over the previous high of $6.5 billion in ‘08 and was produced despite a 6.58 percent decrease in total attendance from the previous year. Maury is also reporting that $433 million in revenue sharing money will be sent from the big-market behemoths to the teams crying poor in smaller markets.

Look, I don’t begrudge owners in making a good old American dollar off the good old American game. They’ve opened up new avenues of revenue and deserve the windfall. All I’m saying is that you should keep this post in mind next time you hear an owner cut budgets or say he can’t afford to keep a homegrown star.

Recession? What recession? Baseball claims record revenues - Big League Stew - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Discuss.....

Then you wonder why I always side with the players.....:rolleyes: The owners ALWAYS cry poverty. I have NEVER, EVER seen them gleefully make a statement stating how wonderful they are doing when it comes to their teams...:rant:

I'm surprised, it always seems that there are a lot of empty seats around here in Baltimore and DC.

NO empty seats in Anaheim! Good teams will always attract fans. Invest in quality and you will be rewarded.

I don't know how they did it, with me only going to one game instead of 2 or 3 like I normally do. ;)

And as usual, the Dodgers drew 3+ million as they continued to set the record of the team that 3 million fans more times than any other team (they were the first to do so and did so several times before any other team did so).

Of course they hold the record for the most fans total fans in franchise history

They hold the record for the most fans at one game
(115,300 for an exhibition game in 2008 against the Sox in the Coliseum)

In 2009 Drew the 3rd most fans in one season in their franchise history

[ame="http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2009"]MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball Attendance - ESPN[/ame]

Last edited:
And as usual, the Dodgers drew 3+ million as they continued to set the record of the team that 3 million fans more times than any other team (they were the first to do so and did so several times before any other team did so).

Of course they hold the record for the most fans total fans in franchise history

They hold the record for the most fans at one game
(115,300 for an exhibition game in 2008 against the Sox in the Coliseum)

In 2009 Drew the 3rd most fans in one season in their franchise history

In 2009 they drew the most fans of any team

Curious, how many of the 115,300 could actually SEE the game ?
Much like the Winter outdoor hockey game the NHL does each year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts