Reciever's (dvr's) and PHONE lines...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kansanian

Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
Maybe I'm outta the loop a little... I've been wanting a dvr unit for awhile, but they MUST be attatched to landlines???

This is 2005... many people have broadband... At my old residence for instance, we had NO phone line! What's a guy to do???

I ask this, and please tell me if they've already done it...

Why the heck don't these recievers also have Ethernet? Wifi? Cell Modems? ANYTHING other than an old phone line?

kansanian said:
Maybe I'm outta the loop a little... I've been wanting a dvr unit for awhile, but they MUST be attatched to landlines???

This is 2005... many people have broadband... At my old residence for instance, we had NO phone line! What's a guy to do???

I ask this, and please tell me if they've already done it...

Why the heck don't these recievers also have Ethernet? Wifi? Cell Modems? ANYTHING other than an old phone line?

Hi kansanian, Welcome to Satellite Guys! :welcome

Technically none of the current DVRs require a phone line. The only DVR that Dish will make an issue of when not connected is the 522. If you don't have a phone line connected on that DVR, dish will hit you with a $5 per month second tuner fee. The 921, 721, 510, 508 and 501 function perfectly fine without a phone connection, also the 721, 508 and 501 do not have the stupid $5 a month VOD fee.

Sadly no current E* receivers have provisions for anything other than an old fashioned phone connection.

NightRyder

Thank you! That is very good news to hear!

I still think they're behind the times a little... And D*.. too for having only a modem to "phone home" with.

I'll check those models out and reconsider Dish (have been w/cable...)

My pops used to work for Echostar back in '97/'98... Yeah, I'm a little biased towards them in the Sat. field, esp. after seeing their facility firsthand... mindboggling to say the least... And that was right when they were expanding the building, getting more people signed up (just hit millionth cust.) etc... I imagine they have even more cool stuff out there now!

Thanks again for the current info on these dvr's and the warm welcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)