Recomissioning an old BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
USA
I'm looking to put my c-band dish back into commission after several years of non-use/disassembly (moving, etc) and have a few questions.

1) How "good" does the surface of the dish need to be for DVB C-Band reception? After re-assembling, my dish has a few dents in the mesh that aren't exactly smoothed out anymore. In the Analog days, it would get pretty good reception as it is now (heck I recall having one panel not on the dish, with the dish laying on the ground, and picking up old analog channels just fine) - but is DVB a lot more picky?

2) Is my old lnb (65k, I think) going to work well enough (slaving to my old analog to control positioning and polorotor) to get something off of G25?

3) I don't exactly remember how the feedhorn assembly was mounted - is there a specific direction (as in "skew" or whatever) that I need to start it out at. There are no markings on the lnb to identify the default "12-o-clock" position. (The feedhorn/lnb/etc are all still assembled together, but need to be mounted to the support legs from the dish)

4) Out of curiosity, can I feed the polorotor a specific voltage (or simply mount the lnb a certain way with no voltage) in order to make it always be vertical or horizontal without requiring my analog reciever to control this (I'm not going to be moving the dish from G25, so H/V skewing would be the only purpose to keep it connected to the old analog receiver. I only want 1 channel from G25, so having it perminently skewed vertically would be fine too).

I don't exactly remember how the feedhorn assembly was mounted - is there a specific direction (as in "skew" or whatever) that I need to start it out at. There are no markings on the lnb to identify the default "12-o-clock" position. (The feedhorn/lnb/etc are all still assembled together, but need to be mounted to the support legs from the dish)

If it's a Chaparral PR1E feedhorn, when the dish is dropped sideways all the way to the west, the servo motor should parallel the ground.

Thanks for the info guys. One more question - I can't seem to find the little metal plate that goes in the middle of the dish. Is this actually useful? I've seen some dishes sold with that piece as optional. I'll fabricate a new one if it's actually used, but I'm thinking that's the least of my problems at this point.

Thx

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)