recommend a hd receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
hello im a directv customer that just upgraded to receive my local channels so i just upgraded my dish toa multi, so im looking to upgrade to hd. but i feel that al of the receivers are really pricey . is there a used receiver that you would recomend? i dont care for ota signal i just want something for satellite. i see allot of samsung t-160 and hughes e86 , Mitsubishi SR-HD5 and also rca dtc-100. are these any good for what i want?
thanks
jose

Anything but the SAMSUNG as far as I am concerned they are junk.Hughes has always had good equipment so if the price is the same I would go with it.

I've had the Mits and the HNS and they worked for me, just make sure that they are in a well ventilated area since they do have a heat problem.

As we can tell from his post he wants the cheapest, best 1st generation model he can find.

In that look for the Panasonic TU-HDS20 or the Sony SAT-HD100

charper1 said:
As we can tell from his post he wants the cheapest, best 1st generation model he can find.

In that look for the Panasonic TU-HDS20 or the Sony SAT-HD100
I agree. However, those are also in the piece of crap realm. These are the receivers that were available when there was nothing other than HDNet available ... including no OTA.

All4jo, you really should consider the HTL-HD, it is an excellent value and will provide you a better picture (via satellite) that ANY of these other models. In addition, if you decide to get OTA channels in the future you will have that ability, the HTL-HD did very well at my location in Colorado even from 46 miles away, but most of that is antenna, admittedly.

i agree but read his post, that is exactly what he says he wants, otherwise look into the SAT-HD300, Hughes HTL-HD, LG LSS-3200A, RCA DTC-210

I would recommend the Hugues HTL-HD. :) I have had one working flawlessly since July.

I would call DirecTV and see if you can make a deal with them for an HD receiver.

I have the Hughes HTL-HD and it works great. I have no experience with other receivers.

I don't think you'll go wrong if you win the E86. If not, the HTL-HD has been rock solid for me since last december (especially after the softare update.)
At any rate (hopefully high bitrate) welcome to HD, you'll love it, even more after D* gets the new birds up.

all4jo said:
hey how is the sony hd-300 ?
i just clicked on the buy it now for $200
jose

I have one and it's a great STB. The OTA section does a great job pulling in stations.

all4jo said:
hey how is the sony hd-300 ?
i just clicked on the buy it now for $200
jose

Not from Ebay. I checked, no HD300 has sold for less than $275 in the last few months. maybe another model

well i brought it , it cost $200 it was listed as- Sony High Definition Direct TV Receiver
and then when i read about the item it said hd300. this is the number- 5738173643
jose

all4jo said:
well i brought it , it cost $200 it was listed as- Sony High Definition Direct TV Receiver
and then when i read about the item it said hd300. this is the number- 5738173643
jose

You did get lucky then. That explains it, they didn't have HD300 in the title. If they would have, the bidders would have raised the price to 400+. I swear, the ebayers pay a super premium for that HD300.

Most ebay'ers know to search by TITLE & DESCRIPTION so it still would have come up in their results. This unit has some scratches and no remote, so people probably stayed away from it. A remote in perfect shape is going to run $75 plus shipping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Interesting Screen Shot from Upcoming Tivo Update

OTA Receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)