Recommend where to buy COAX cable...

MartyMcFly

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I am looking at replacing most if not all of my in-house COAX cable for my Dish Network and Charter Spectrum Internet (60 mbps). To make a long story short, I was rustling around in my basement ceiling (where all my COAX is) and started to re run the actual paths because the people before me had it run in all different directions, I even found one run where there was a 30 foot piece inserted with barrel plugs on each end that did NOT need to be there...
So I started to look at what kind the COAX was. I have some RG-59, some stuff that I cannot even see a type on and there is 1 piece of RG-6. But Im not sure if its solid copper or stranded. I saw on some of the COAX it says 3.0 Ghz. So, I figure, Just replace it all.
From what I have read, RG-6 Solid Copper is probably my best bet. What gauge? 18? And what is the 3.0 Ghz about? Also when it comes to connecting a line from the outside, I can just use a barrel plug as long as it has a blue plastic piece on it? Im estimating that I would need about 140-150 feet.
Where is a good place to buy that?
Thanks

Why is some COAX rated for "In-Wall" installations and most is not? Looking on the Home Depot site the "In-Wall" stuff goes for about 80 cents per foot, where as the "Not Rated for In-Wall" stuff goes for much less. Can you explain that to me?

Plenum "fire rated" cables are typically not required for residential use. Commercial building installs often require plenum ratings for inspection approval.

No need or benefit to install "in-wall" rated cables unless required by local code.

I bought a reel of coax from HD. Worked fine. Next reel, I decided to go even better. I bought a reel from an electric supply house.

Sigh. The jacket was so thin you could see every strand of the shielding. And compression fittings just weren't as snug as I like. I think the only run I ever made that failed was of this stuff. I ended up using it up in an office installation. Never again.

Home Depot stuff is fine. At least, back when I last bought it.

Copper coated is fine, unless you're trying to run some power thru it in FTA or some such.

I ended up going with this stuff from Home Depot.
The only thing I see that Im not sure about is the MATV rating and the fact that its only Dual shielded and not Quad shielded. Is that something I should worry about? I figure Im only gonna re-do my wiring 1 time for the next 10-20 years. I wanted the best I can get...

I ended up takiing that roll back and getting the same stuff but Quad Shielded. I know it might not make that much of a difference, but... I wanted to get the best I could find and afford and not settle for something knowing that they had a better product right there but I just didnt buy it...
Probably a stupid question... But this stuff will be good for a Cable Modem too right?

I ended up takiing that roll back and getting the same stuff but Quad Shielded. I know it might not make that much of a difference, but... I wanted to get the best I could find and afford and not settle for something knowing that they had a better product right there but I just didnt buy it...
Probably a stupid question... But this stuff will be good for a Cable Modem too right?
Yeah, way overkill.

The first roll you had was Great ... the roll you have now is just harder to work with is all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)