Recommendation for satellite signal meter for DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Doomster

Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Hello.

I have had some problems with my satellite signal from the satellite. I have a DirecTV dish. Two coaxial cables go from that dish to my house. I have several DirecTivo receivers so I use a Terk switch to split them.

One of the input cables from the dish to the house had a problem. The actual copper cable of the coaxial cable broke off in the coaxial jack of the Terk switch. So I replaced the switch.

But after I replaced the Terk switch, one of my receivers is having problems with its "Satellite Input 2". The other receivers all work fine. Just this one receiver is having problems and it's only having problems after I replaced the Terk switch.

I would rather not try with another coaxial cable because then I would have to cable up a 20 ft cable because the switch and receiver are in different rooms.

So I would like to measure the satellite signal from the switch to the receiver.

What I would like to do is to test the signal strength between the switch and the problem receiver, then test the strength between the switch and a receiver that's not having any problems. That way, I can narrow down the problem.

I have an Accutrac Mark II Pro but its rechargeable battery died and I looked on the web. There's no place to buy a replacement battery for this (not happy with the Accutrac Mark 2 but that's another story).

I am looking at buying this on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B0188I3BYM

Would this be sufficient to measure the signal strength between the switch and receiver?

Doomster

I don't see your link or image for Amazon.

I'm used to mostly professional grade meters like the Applied Instruments XR-3 or DirecTV's own AIM meter. Those two would absolutely work (the AIM would be a bit better in some respects, but limit you to mostly DirecTV analysis).

A cheaper solution may be to buy a 50' length of good coax, and use that as a test jumper to and from different points on the coax network. Connect it to a different receiver, etc. That may also help narrow things down instead of buying a meter.

Reactions: Jimbo
Hello.

I have had some problems with my satellite signal from the satellite. I have a DirecTV dish. Two coaxial cables go from that dish to my house. I have several DirecTivo receivers so I use a Terk switch to split them.

One of the input cables from the dish to the house had a problem. The actual copper cable of the coaxial cable broke off in the coaxial jack of the Terk switch. So I replaced the switch.

But after I replaced the Terk switch, one of my receivers is having problems with its "Satellite Input 2". The other receivers all work fine. Just this one receiver is having problems and it's only having problems after I replaced the Terk switch.

I would rather not try with another coaxial cable because then I would have to cable up a 20 ft cable because the switch and receiver are in different rooms.

So I would like to measure the satellite signal from the switch to the receiver.

What I would like to do is to test the signal strength between the switch and the problem receiver, then test the strength between the switch and a receiver that's not having any problems. That way, I can narrow down the problem.

I have an Accutrac Mark II Pro but its rechargeable battery died and I looked on the web. There's no place to buy a replacement battery for this (not happy with the Accutrac Mark 2 but that's another story).

I am looking at buying this on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B0188I3BYM

Would this be sufficient to measure the signal strength between the switch and receiver?

Doomster
I would not waste my time with this particular meter ... it picks up EVERY Sat making it very difficult for what your trying to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)