Recommendations for upgrade hardware?

I'm more than willing to dump my DVR 625 box for a new Wally but my wife has tons of stuff recorded on the integrated HD which she is reticent to lose.
The good news is that those recordings will continue to play just fine on the 625, even without a satellite signal. I went through the same thing the last time Dish did this kind of forced equipment upgrade. (Making the 501 obsolete.) I kept my 501 hooked up to an SDTV, and continued to watch my recordings until I had finished watching everything on it.

I doubt it. It has taken her 9 years to accumulate her "archive". My DVR recordings can easily be replaced but her stuff is mostly hard to find documentaries -- I can't even find them on DVDs. She will be upset when she has to discard her DVR stuff -- I won't. I've suggested we buy a recorder to transfer her stuff to DVDs (or MP4 files) but my understanding is that it takes forever because it is just recording the output stream from the DVR 625.
Despite what I said above, transferring the recordings is still a good idea though, just to prepare for when the 625 hardware itself eventually fails. It is just that you may have more time to do those transfers than you may have thought, as long as the 625 will continue to play them without an SD satellite signal.

The stuff I have recorded means little to me -- it's more convenience -- it's easier to view a recorded movie than to go get the Blu-Ray or DVD and load it in the player. I know, that's the epitome of first-world laziness. :)
My sister is the same way. She'll DVR record stuff that she already has on DVD or Blu-Ray, just for the convenience.

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum but I can't find it again) that Dish will replace customer hardware for free if it's because the old hardware doesn't support the Dish migration from SD to HD transmission ???!!!
It was in the post I linked, back in post number 29. Sorry, I didn't quote that part of the post:
Customers older boxes and equipment are being replace as needed at no cost to the customer.

Yeah I had a friend like that watches Football and Hockey on an old 24" CRT TV, he's in his late 40's. Actually he may have changed by now because last time I saw him was in early 2017,
we got into a disagreement about something trivial, and last time I called him up in spring of 2018 and he still held a grudge, anyhow he too was on Dish and had a SD box (322?) for a receiver.

I tried talking him into getting a Hopper and Big Screen modern TV, Nope not interested, I invited him over my place once to watch Superbowl on my Big Screen TV & Hopper too see the detail he's missing watching games in HD.
Nope, wasn't interested, I felt sorry for his kids.

Another question (just to clarify) . . . My current Dish 500 antenna passes the incoming signal along two separate coax cables across the roof and into the house at two separate locations. Will the new Dish 1000 antenna have the same capability?

So there will be (for my config) two cables from the Dish 1000 antenna for satellites 110 and 119? Those two cables are then "combined" and then split again into two cables that will run to each Wally? Do I have this correct? Pardon the non-tech terms I use. Much appreciated if you replace my non-tech terms with actual names of the hdw.

Last edited:
I have a quick question, kind of on topic. If I move from a single Wally to a single Hopper 3 with no other receivers, will my legacy 1000.2 dish work. Or, will I have to change the LNB or add a hybrid switch? Thanks.

I have a quick question, kind of on topic. If I move from a single Wally to a single Hopper 3 with no other receivers, will my legacy 1000.2 dish work. Or, will I have to change the LNB or add a hybrid switch? Thanks.
The latter, a hybrid LNB or a hybrid 42 switch. Technically it would also require a hub but with just the single receiver that is not necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
So there will be (for my config) two cables from the Dish 1000 antenna for satellites 110 and 119? Those two cables are then "combined" and then split again into two cables that will run to each Wally? Do I have this correct? Pardon the non-tech terms I use. Much appreciated if you replace my non-tech terms with actual names of the hdw.
The Dish 1000 antenna is for three satellites (110, 119, and 129). The most common model is the 1000.2 dish. Those signals are combined by the switch inside the LNB (the "eye assembly" on the dish). The LNB also splits the now-combined signal into three outputs. Each output will support one receiver by itself. So, each of the two cables would run directly to each Wally, similar to the way your 625's are hooked up now. It is basically plug-and-play, once the dish is aimed.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that a Hopper 3 will work directly connected to a DPP 1000.2 LNB, but it would only have two tuners available instead of the 16 you would get with a Hybrid LNB or switch. You may also get some error messages on screen with that DPP configuration when setting it up, but technically it would still work.

The Dish 1000 antenna is for three satellites (110, 119, and 129). The most common model is the 1000.2 dish. Those signals are combined by the switch inside the LNB (the "eye assembly" on the dish). The LNB also splits the now-combined signal into three outputs. Each output will support one receiver by itself. So, each of the two cables would run directly to each Wally, similar to the way your 625's are hooked up now. It is basically plug-and-play, once the dish is aimed.
Thanks again. Too bad I can't buy you a drink -- I owe you one. :thumbup