Recommendations for upgrade hardware?

I don't intend to upgrade right away, unless I have a hardware failure right away.
Do you subscribe to local channels from Dish? There has been some discussion in another thread about Dish shutting down the SD feeds of the local channels in many markets soon. Some markets will lose their SD feeds as early as next week, while others will be shut down over the next couple of months. Just something to think about, if you want to be prepared before the date you might lose your locals.

Do you subscribe to local channels from Dish? There has been some discussion in another thread about Dish shutting down the SD feeds of the local channels in many markets soon. Some markets will lose their SD feeds as early as next week, while others will be shut down over the next couple of months. Just something to think about, if you want to be prepared before the date you might lose your locals.
Yes, I get 4 or 5 local stations. The only one that would bother me a bit is the local PBS station. I rarely watch the local stations. I get my local news from the newspaper, hard-copy and electronic.

Are you saying that the new Dish 1000 antenna and a Wally can still get local stations?

Reactions: pattykay
I don't intend to upgrade right away, unless I have a hardware failure right away. But with the info that you guys have given me I can order a new house system more confidently when my hardware eventually does fail.

Thanks again to all who responded. :thumbup :clapping
That's the great thing about this site. If you want to learn about a custom, personalized install, this is the place!

Last edited:
Are you saying that the new Dish 1000 antenna and a Wally can still get local stations?
Yes. Post what local market you are in, and I can tell you which Dish 1000 LNB you would need. (Could be either Western Arc or Eastern Arc.) Also, you can add an OTA USB adapter to the Wally, which would give you two more tuners for recording, and allow you to get your locals with an over-the-air antenna for free. It doesn't sound like you would use that feature that often, but it is nice for those who do want that.

Yes. Post what local market you are in, and I can tell you which Dish 1000 LNB you would need. (Could be either Western Arc or Eastern Arc.) Also, you can add an OTA USB adapter to the Wally, which would give you two more tuners for recording, and allow you to get your locals with an over-the-air antenna for free. It doesn't sound like you would use that feature that often, but it is nice for those who do want that.
I live in southern AZ, fairly close to Tucson AZ.

Good news! Your HD local feeds are on the 119 satellite, which is the same satellite used for the SD feeds. You would be looking for a Western Arc 1000.2 LNB, to get your national HD channels from the 129 satellite.
Thank you. The info in this thread will be valuable I can see that. Maybe I should copy all this down to my PC, just in case . . .

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
That's the great thing about this site. If you want to learn about a custom, personalized install, this is the place!

Yes it is. When my hardware does eventually fail, I don't want to have to depend on the Dish support/sales folks on the phone. Yes, I will of course call Dish to set up the install, but I want to know for sure that I'm getting the right hdw.

When my hardware does eventually fail...
You may have until March. The post below is about Dish's phase-out of MPEG-2 broadcasting. When they are no longer transmitting channels in MPEG-2, your SD receivers will stop working.
Back in March of this year, Dish --"in order to support more efficient bandwidth
use across the Western Arc"----
started the phase out of MPEG2 .
At that time, they said they expected it to be completed in a year.

You may have until March. The post below is about Dish's phase-out of MPEG-2 broadcasting. When they are no longer transmitting channels in MPEG-2, your SD receivers will stop working.
I would assume that Dish would contact us old folks with the old receivers ???!!!

I would assume that Dish would contact us old folks with the old receivers ???!!!
Yes, they would. Your first indication may be a message that pops up on your local channels, to inform you about the need to upgrade your equipment. So, it may be worth checking those channels from time to time, to see if a message pops up on your screen.

Reactions: BarnRat
Thank you! I think now I have all the info I need.
I have a somewhat eccentric friend who is holding onto his stupid dumb-ass Sony CRT TV's and waiting for them to die before he upgrades to a vastly superior HD picture. I gave him a spare HDTV. I bought him a FireTV Stick. He put them in the closet and waits! The problem with these Sony TV's is that they may last longer than he does. :crying

Don't be somebody's eccentric friend. Upgrade those TVs as soon as possible. Then upgrade with HD Wally replacements. You won't regret it.
It doesn't sound like you would use that feature that often, but it is nice for those who do want that.
I am like Mr. BarnRat. I only watch PBS. That is the sole reason I have that antenna and OTA adapter: to record NOVA and Nature. I have hundreds of these shows stored on my EHD dating back to my earliest 722 days.

I have a somewhat eccentric friend who is holding onto his stupid dumb-ass Sony CRT TV's and waiting for them to die before he upgrades to a vastly superior HD picture. I gave him a spare HDTV. I bought him a FireTV Stick. He put them in the closet and waits! The problem with these Sony TV's is that they may last longer than he does. :crying

Don't be somebody's eccentric friend. Upgrade those TVs as soon as possible. Then upgrade with HD Wally replacements. You won't regret it.

I am like Mr. BarnRat. I only watch PBS. That is the sole reason I have that antenna and OTA adapter: to record NOVA and Nature. I have hundreds of these shows stored on my EHD dating back to my earliest 722 days.
Both our TVs are relatively new large HDTVs. I don't think I need to upgrade them since they are both newer than the Wally box (introduced in 2016). It's just that they are being wasted with the SD box (DVR 625).

I'm more than willing to dump my DVR 625 box for a new Wally but my wife has tons of stuff recorded on the integrated HD which she is reticent to lose. The stuff I have recorded means little to me -- it's more convenience -- it's easier to view a recorded movie than to go get the Blu-Ray or DVD and load it in the player. I know, that's the epitome of first-world laziness. :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere (maybe on this forum but I can't find it again) that Dish will replace customer hardware for free if it's because the old hardware doesn't support the Dish migration from SD to HD transmission ???!!!

If I were you, I would get a Hopper 3 and one Joey. With 16 tuners, your wife can set timers to record everything she has now and in 6 or 8 months she will have replenished her set of archives.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a somewhat eccentric friend who is holding onto his stupid dumb-ass Sony CRT TV's and waiting for them to die before he upgrades to a vastly superior HD picture.
My parents were similar, in that they bought new HD TVs but still kept their standard def DirecTV equipment. Only when GSN stopped being transmitted as an SD feed were they forced to upgrade. I recently asked my dad about the better picture quality he's got now and says he doesn't notice a difference.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Both our TVs are relatively new large HDTVs. I don't think I need to upgrade them since they are both newer than the Wally box (introduced in 2016). It's just that they are being wasted with the SD box (DVR 625).
Admittedly, both of our HDTVs are being wasted with our Dish SD receivers. But they are not being wasted. We use them to watch Blu-Rays and we have Apple TV plus 4 internet streaming services. Actually, I would guess that I only watch Dish stuff maybe 30% of the time. My wife, a bit more than that. In fact, part of my decision process concerning this upgrade to Wallys will be the possibility of dropping Dish entirely. That would be a might painful since we've been with Dish for 23 years now and I do feel some loyalty to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
If I were you, I would get a Hopper 3 and one Joey. With 16 tuners, your wife can set timers to record everything she has now and in 6 or 8 months she will have replenished her set of archives.
I doubt it. It has taken her 9 years to accumulate her "archive". My DVR recordings can easily be replaced but her stuff is mostly hard to find documentaries -- I can't even find them on DVDs. She will be upset when she has to discard her DVR stuff -- I won't. I've suggested we buy a recorder to transfer her stuff to DVDs (or MP4 files) but my understanding is that it takes forever because it is just recording the output stream from the DVR 625.