This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Recommendations sought - best netbooks?

Get the DellMini 9. You can make it a Mac.
All hardware working: audio, wireless, ethernet, bluetooth, webcam, SD-reader.
Can add GPS, too...

Get the DellMini 9. You can make it a Mac.
All hardware working: audio, wireless, ethernet, bluetooth, webcam, SD-reader.
Can add GPS, too...

I've been looking for something like this that'll run OSX. Will have to check out the instructions.

That and you don't have to run windoze. Good enough for me.

Actually, I'd take Windows over Mac any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

And installing - and running for a few days - OS X 10.5.6 on the Dell Mini 9 proved that I'm still not missing anything. Except maybe religious devotion...

If the SDD would be more easily swappable, I'd probably keep a Leopard installed on one of them around.

I have Windows 7 running on a Dell Mini 12 - and that's my main non-number crunching PC atm... Just love it.

the asus arrived this afternoon. I just set it up for my wife. So far so good. I realize now that they take many short-cuts to get the size down - like making the pg up/down keys a function key - and I have to realize that it is intended to be a "netbook" and not a full-fledged laptop in terms of power. But I think it will work for her. I will add a stick of memory to give XP a bit more juice.

Never mind the best. For those who are looking- let's look at the cheapest- at Woot right now, $149.99. Linux.

My wife got a white Acer 10" last weekend. Put in 2gb mem. Really purrs.
Don't like glossy screen. Useless outside.

Ok, my wife has the ASUS EEe PC1000HE netbook and she loves it. Oh its a bit slow with her corporation's software, but it does what it is supposed to do.

I keep wanting to get a netbook more myself, and am in awe of the little 8" ones that ASUS has. Yes, the keyboards are small, but the size just draws me in in terms of its ease of use for travel. Anyway, BestBuy has the new 8" ones with the 16GB solid state drives.

What would the benefit of that be over the existing ones. I know with a solid state frive there are no moving parts, but wouldn't a WinXP machine with 16GB be crippled? Or is it likely to run faster, and not consume as much juice?

Any thoughts?

Well, you'd never want to use it as a primary machine. My understanding is that the small ones have the OS in rom, so the 16G is all app space. If a stripped down version of office is bundled, you should have plenty of space. Note: qa rom based OS cannot be overwritten, thus making it fairly immune to viruses. You don't upgrade features, but it continues to work the same way as the day you bought it. I have developed rom based OS and apps for years, and I believe the need to overwrite your OS is vastly overrated.

Again, I would never consider it as a primary. Personally I just crossed over and bought a Mac for my internet needs. Happy so far.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I don't believe these minis have an aux VGA output, so it would be difficult to use it as a presentation machine. You may not be able to plug it into a projector.

Its purpose would be entirely as a travel machine and something to carry around when I go to the library or to Panera.

I like the idea of the OS built into Rom. Does it operate more quickly than the standard windows HDD setup?

Oh yeah, one more thing. I don't believe these minis have an aux VGA output, so it would be difficult to use it as a presentation machine. You may not be able to plug it into a projector.

I don't know about the 8.9" model, but my wife's machine has VGA out, and it is being used right now connected to a 19" monitor for a brief video presentation she has tonight in a meeting. (I wasn't pulling my FP off the wall for her presentation.

EDIT: Just looked at the photo of one from Amazon, has vga out.

Dodgers fan in disguise?

I really liked the Acer keyboard but the thing comes with bloatware that slows it down. The Asus seemed peppier but I hated the keyboard and mousepad. Asus price is right and last week was $349 at Best Buy

I have a dell mini 9.. i would recommend the 10 because the keyboard is bigger.. but the 9 rocks for everything except the keyboard.. and I personally use ubuntu on it.. and prefer that to xp..

Anyone else have experience with the solid state drive models? I already have th Asus PC1000HE for the wife, and she loves it; I am interested in as small as I can get in terms of carry-size; and am intrigued by the idea of a 16GB solid state drive.

Can anyone confirm that Windows (or Linux, but I am more interested in Windows) is burned into rom on those devices?