Recommendations sought - best netbooks?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looked at the ASUS solid state models at BB this afternoon; Windows is installed on the hard drive, not burned into rom. Didn't see any more sluggish than the machine my wife has, with the 160GB HDD.

Hey MIke- How's it going with the netbook?

I know your wife likes it as you said but will it do the trick for someone who needs to do a bit more? Besides surf the web and do e-mail what stuff are these netbooks capable of?

Personally, I find my PDA good enough for most of my daily web needs. But when I need more it has to do with playing a DVD or edit a video project in the field.

Of course the limitation of the PDA is screen size since you can add keyboard and mouse. I've heard rumors that the iphone 4G ( 4th generation) will offer an outlet for full size monitor. At CES this past year I saw a booth where they were using an iphone modified that allowed an external monitor so it is possible. I think when this is offered, I will consider getting the iphone since it will be capable of that kind of expansion.

In the meantime, I'm afraid the netbooks aren't in my future since I can't throw it in my pocket and it's too small for those other needs that require a full size laptop. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested in how others are making use of them.

Don,

Julie loves her netbook. Its a little slow loading up her company's software (but that software loads slowly on her duo-core too!), but once it is running, it is perfect. She uses it for entering orders, and when she travels, she uses it for email. Has not tried it for anything video related. For her purposes it is great.

Would it do video editing in the field? I am leery. You'd definitely want to upgrade it to 2GB of memory, but I just don't know. Given your needs, I doubt it would be ideal.

I want one for myself, but primarily because of size, and the ability to so easily drag it with me to the library or even Panera. I am looking at the 8" models. I want it entirely for size and ease of use. I have a 12" tablet, and its not terribly heavy, but I love the idea of one even smaller. And something I can throw in my bag when I bike to work all summer.

I'll probably get one in the next few weeks.

Hey MIke- How's it going with the netbook?

I know your wife likes it as you said but will it do the trick for someone who needs to do a bit more? Besides surf the web and do e-mail what stuff are these netbooks capable of?

Personally, I find my PDA good enough for most of my daily web needs. But when I need more it has to do with playing a DVD or edit a video project in the field.

Of course the limitation of the PDA is screen size since you can add keyboard and mouse. I've heard rumors that the iphone 4G ( 4th generation) will offer an outlet for full size monitor. At CES this past year I saw a booth where they were using an iphone modified that allowed an external monitor so it is possible. I think when this is offered, I will consider getting the iphone since it will be capable of that kind of expansion.

In the meantime, I'm afraid the netbooks aren't in my future since I can't throw it in my pocket and it's too small for those other needs that require a full size laptop. But that doesn't mean I'm not interested in how others are making use of them.

Had my hands on a closeout ASUS PC Eee 900 at Best Buy; 8.9" screen, 4 cell battery, 16gb solid state, 2.2 lbs.... $229. Price was right, and it seemed zippy enough playing with it in the store. It had 12GB free, after the winxp install.

I didn't buy as even with something as piddly as a $243 purchase (yes, I calculated the tax), I have learned its best to inform the wife first. But maybe tomorrow. For its purposes, this thing looks sweet. A heck of a lot more powerful than the smartphone, and so small and light I could easily just keep with in my work bag all the time.

Wish the HDD was a bit bigger, and if I wanted one with a traditional HDD, they had them for a mere $25 more (and ironically, now in the "red" that my wife so badly wanted :D ), but it weighs about a 1/2 lb. more, and I am really looking at this as the ultra-portable device.

Will sleep on it. :)

Got the solid-state version; price is now $199 at best buy. Truly a disposable, sub-$200 computer. Worth it if just for the novelty. :) Will report on its performance later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)